Joanne F. Goldstein
|Joanne F. Goldstein|
|Massachusetts Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed by||Gov. Deval Patrick|
|High school||Doherty Memorial High School, Worcester, MA|
|Bachelor's||University of Michigan|
Goldstein was born in Massachusetts. She began her professional legal career with Angoff, Godlman, Manning, Pyle and Wagner. She was the first woman to practice union side labor law in Massachusetts. She opened her own law practice in 1982 and was the general counsel for Utility Workers Union of America in 1996. In 2007 Goldstein was appointed by Martha Coakley as the Chief of the Attorney General's Fair Labor Division. Goldstein served as the lead member of the Governor's Joint Task Force on the Underground Economy and Employee Misclassification.
- Doherty Memorial High School, Worcester, Massachusetts
- Bachelor's degree, University of Michigan
- Juris doctorate degree, Hofstra University
Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development (2010 - present)
Since her appointment Goldstein has worked with business interests and unions on pension and transportation reform as well as health care cost containment. During the 2011-2012 legislative session, the Massachusetts General Court passed legislation that weakened union influence and eased the ability for local governments in negotiating new contracts. Goldstein has stated her support for unions, maintaining that they still have a place in society.
Goldstein was appointed Massachusetts Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development by Gov. Deval Patrick (D) in 2010.
Goldstein and her husband Edward live in Newton, Massachusetts. They have three adult children and two granddaughters.
Office of Labor and Workforce Development
One Ashburton Place
Boston, MA 02108
Toll Free: 617-727-4404
- Massachusetts Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Commonwealth Corporation Biography
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Joanne + Goldstein + Massachusetts
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- LETTER: Why is DUA unable to do its job effectively? - Taunton Daily Gazette
- WENDY MURPHY: 'Governor Equality' ignores the equal rights of women - The Patriot Ledger
- Massachusetts House poised to tackle changes to welfare system - MassLive.com
- Benefits system woes cost extra $800000 - Boston Globe
- Mass Memories covers the Irish immigrant experience - The Mass Media
- Why public sector gets technology wrong - Boston Globe
- Job fair for veterans, public is Tuesday - Eagle-Tribune
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
|Massachusetts Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development
| Succeeded by|