|Attorney General of New Hampshire|
|May 15, 2013 – present|
|Years in position||1|
|Predecessor||Michael Delaney (D)|
|Majority Leader, New Hampshire State Senate|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed by||Gov. Maggie Hassan (D)|
|New Hampshire State Senate|
|2002 – 2008|
|New Hampshire House of Representatives|
|1994 – 1998|
|Bachelor's||Tufts University (1981)|
|J.D.||National Law Center, George Washington University (1984)|
|Birthday||June 10, 1959|
|Place of birth||Poughkeepsie, New York|
A bankruptcy lawyer by trade, Foster previously served in the state House from 1995-1998 and in the state Senate from 2002-2008. During that time he was chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee and majority leader from 2006-2008.
Foster and Hassan served together during their time in the Senate and when Foster left the chamber in 2008, Hassan took over as majority leader.
Foster is a bankruptcy lawyer at the firm of McLane, Graf, Raulerson and Middleton. He has worked for the law firm since 1984.
- J.D., National Law Center, George Washington University, 1984
- B.A., Tufts University, 1981
New Hampshire Attorney General (2013-Present)
New Hampshire State Senate (2002-2008)
New Hampshire House of Representatives (1994-1998)
Following his unanimous confirmation by the Executive Council, Hassan stated, "Joe Foster is a greatly respected attorney and public servant whose broad experience and excellent judgment will be invaluable as New Hampshire's chief legal and law enforcement officer. I have worked closely with Joe, and I know that he will steadfastly defend the cause of justice for the people of New Hampshire at every turn."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Joe + Foster + New + Hampshire + Attorney"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official New Hampshire Attorney General website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2006, 2004, 2002
- Concord Monitor, "Foster confirmed unanimously as N.H.’s next attorney general," April 18, 2013
- Nashua Patch, "Foster is now Attorney General," May 15, 2013
- Concord Monitor, "Joe Foster, ex-Senate majority leader from Nashua, is Hassan’s pick for attorney general," April 1, 2013
- WMUR, "Analysis: In Foster, Hassan picks friend and someone informed on gambling," April 1, 2013
- Project Vote Smart, "Joseph 'Joe' A. Foster's Biography," accessed April 19, 2013
- Granite Grok, "Governor Maggie Hassan Nominates Joseph Foster for N.H. Attorney General," April 1, 2013
- Governor of New Hampshire, "Governor Hassan Applauds Executive Council Confirmation of Joe Foster as Attorney General," April 17, 2013
Michael Delaney (D)
|New Hampshire Attorney General
| Succeeded by|