Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, New York, District 21|
|Associate's||University of Phoenix|
|Bachelor's||University of Maryland|
|Other||Building Professionals Institute, Home Energy Advisor|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||25|
|Date of birth||December 16, 1966|
|Place of birth||Ogdensburg, New York|
|(dead link) Campaign website|
Gilbert was born in Ogdensburg, New York. He is the youngest of five brothers and one sister. While still in high school, Gilbert joined the Army Reserve. He started his basic training on June 29, 1985, the day after his graduation from high school.
Upon completion of basic training, Gilbert began taking classes at Potsdam State University. Gilbert decided to to join the active Army rather than finish at Potsdam. He continued to take classes during active duty, and in 1993 he earned enough credits for an associate's degree.
Gilbert was selected to attend Officer Candidate School at Fort Benning, Georgia. He graduated in May 1993. He also attended Special Forces Officer Course and was then branched Military Intelligence.
Gilbert served in the Army for 25 years. He was stationed in Darmstadt, Germany, Korea, Fort Knox, Kentucky, Fort Drum, New York, Fort Bragg, North Carolina, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, Iraq and Fort Stewart, Georgia. He retired in February 2010. He then began working with General Dynamics as Senior Opposing Forces Operational Analyst on Fort Drum. He left General Dynamics for his current position as the Director of Emergency Services for St. Lawrence County, New York.
Gilbert holds an associate degree in liberal arts from the University of Phoenix and a bachelor's in business administration and management from the University of Maryland.
Gilbert is involved with several organizations including AmVets, the National Rifle Association and Veterans of Foreign Wars.
Below is an abbreviated list of Gilbert's career:
- 1985 - Enlisted as MOS 12B, Combat Engineer, US Army
- 1990 - A Company, 2nd Combat Engineer Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division, Camp Castle, Korea
- 1991 - Team leader & Squad Leader (Sergeant) - 19th Combat Engineer Battalion, Fort Knox, KY
- 1993 - Officer Candidate School and Armor Officer Basic Course
- 1994 - Platoon Leader - 2nd Battalion, 64th Armor Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division, Schweinfurt, Germany
- 1995 – Company Executive Officer - 2/64th Armor Battalion, Schweinfurt, Germany
- 1996 – Company Executive Officer - HHC 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, Schweinfurt, Germany
- 1999 - Battalion Intelligence Staff Officer (S2) – 2-14 Infantry Battalion, 10th Mountain Division, Fort Drum, NY
- 2001 - Plans and Exercises Intelligence Staff Officer – XVIII Airborne Corps, Fort Bragg, NC
- 2002 – Commander, Headquarters Company, 203rd Military Intelligence Battalion (TECHINT), Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
- 2003 - Commander, C Company (Reconnaissance) (TECHINT) 203rd Military Intelligence Battalion, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
- 2004 - Chief of Intelligence Operations Division Effects, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, GA
- 2006 – Executive Officer – 1st Brigade Troops Battalion, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, GA
- 2008 – Chief of Operations, Defense Coordinating Element Region I (Emergency Management/Crisis Response), Boston, MA
- 2003 - 3 tours in Iraq Commander, C Company, (Reconnaissance), 203rd MI Battalion, Iraq Survey Group
- 2005 - Chief of Intelligence Operations, Division Effects, 3rd Infantry Division, Baghdad
- 2007 - Executive Officer and Camp Manager, 1st Special Troops Battalion, 1st Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, Ramadi.
Gilbert's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Second Amendment: "The Second Amendment is a crucial right of Free Citizens...And it doesn't matter how many bullets may be needed. I'll never infringe on that right and vehemently oppose any measure by government to disarm We the People."
- Taxes: "I will never vote to raise taxes on working families, or the small businesses and farms that employ them. What the American farmer needs is less government interference not more."
- Affordable Care Act: "I will do everything in my power to repeal Obamacare, which I believe is an extreme overreach of government power and is unconstitutional."
- National Defense: "Our wounded warriors and loyal veterans should never have to wait for needed treatment or benefits because of a bureaucratic backlog. I believe in a strong national defense that is respected by our allies and feared by our enemies."
- Term Limits: "I believe that Congress should be in the form that was originally set forth by the Founders."
Gilbert planned to run in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent New York's 21st District. Gilbert sought the Republican nomination in the primary, but failed to file with the New York Board of Elections.
Gilbert has been married twice, and his current wife is Laurie Gilbert. He is the father of four children, two with his first wife and two with his second wife.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Joe + Gilbert + New York + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- New York's 21st Congressional District elections, 2014
- New York's 21st Congressional District
- Joe Gilbert for Congress: "About Me," accessed October 24, 2013 (dead link)
- Adirondack Daily Enterprise, "Gilbert drops out of GOP Congress race," accessed April 22, 2014
- Information submitted on Ballotpedia’s biographical information submission form on October 24, 2013
- Joe Gilbert for Congress: "Platform," accessed October 27, 2013 (dead link)
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
New York Supreme Court | Trial Court | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Civil Courts | County Courts | Surrogate Courts | Family Courts | Civil Courts | Court of Statewide Claims | Town Courts | Village Courts | City Civil Court | City Criminal Court | District Court Nassau & Suffolk | City Courts (Outside New York City) | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |