|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 41|
|Bachelor's||University of Wisconsin-Green Bay|
|Place of birth||Green Lake, Wisconsin|
Kallas was a 2012 Democratic candidate who sought election to the U.S. House to represent the 6th Congressional District of Wisconsin. He lost to incumbent Tom Petri in the general election on November 6, 2012.
Kallas' campaign website highlighted the following issues:
- Excerpt: "We should stop taking away the power of self-determination from local citizens and giving it to the state authorities, including the DNR. I am opposed to the Penoke Hills iron ore mine in Northern Wisconsin."
- Excerpt: " By making teachers and public workers the reason why the state was “broke”, the Governor created a “scapegoat” that he could use to cover his own missteps. This “divide and conquer” strategy got him elected, but did NOTHING to improve the economy or financial condition of the state."
- Excerpt: "Right around 80% of those in prison committed their crime under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. Substance abuse is a huge problem."
- Excerpt: "More needs to be done to treat substance abuse instead of warehousing those who have a problem."
Jobs and Economic Development
- Excerpt: " Farming and tourism are the leaders in job expansion. We are fighting to keep the manufacturing that we have. I will work very hard to expand that base in the 41st and develop “living” wage jobs. I do support an increase in the minimum wage."
Our Natural Resources
- Excerpt: " I think it was a mistake for this administration to hire a hunting “czar” from Texas to “school” Wisconsin hunters and put thousands of acres of public land up for sale. Once these public hunting acres are sold, hunters will have to pay a fee to hunt on what used to be public hunting land. I believe this is very short sighted and wrong."
- See also: Wisconsin State Assembly elections, 2014
Elections for all 99 seats in the Wisconsin State Assembly took place in 2014. A primary election took place on August 12, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 2, 2014. Joe Kallas was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Joan Ballweg was unopposed in the Republican primary. Kallas and Ballweg faced off in the general election. Incumbent Ballweg defeated Kallas in the general election, and was re-elected for another term.
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 41 General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Joan Ballweg Incumbent||61%||13,152|
|U.S. House, Wisconsin District 6 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Tom Petri Incumbent||62.1%||223,460|
|Source: Wisconsin Government Accountability Board "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election" (dead link)|
|U.S. House, Wisconsin District 6, 2012 - Joe Kallas Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||$743,349|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||$672,015|
|Top contributors to Joe Kallas's campaign committee|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Joe + Kallas + Wisconsin + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Wisconsin's 6th Congressional District
- Wisconsin's 6th Congressional District elections, 2012
- United States House of Representatives
- Wisconsin State Legislature
- Wisconsin state legislative districts
- Wisconsin State Assembly
- Wisconsin State Assembly elections, 2014
- Official campaign website
- Joe Kallas on Facebook
- Profile from Wisconsin Vote.org
- Candidate Interview on YouTube
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Wisconsin State Legislature
- Wisconsin Government Accountability, "Candidates Registered by Office," June 11, 2014
- Politico, "2012 House Race Results," accessed November 6, 2012
- Kallas for Assembly, "On the Issues," accessed October 27, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "2014 Partisan Primary Candidates," accessed June 19, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Canvass Results for 2014 General Election," December 1, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Candidates registered by office," accessed June 10, 2012
- Open Secrets, "Kallas 2012 Election Cycle," accessed May 5, 2013
State of Wisconsin
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection| Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Workforce Development | Public Service Commission |