|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 59A|
|1997 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||17|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 5, 1996|
|Bachelor's||University of Minnesota|
|J.D.||University of Minnesota|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Elections
- 4 Campaign donors
- 5 Scorecards
- 6 Personal
- 7 Recent news
- 8 External links
- 9 References
Mullery earned his B.A. and J.D. from the University of Minnesota. His professional experience includes working as an attorney.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Mullery served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Early Childhood and Youth Development Policy, Chair|
|• Health and Human Services Policy|
|• Jobs and Economic Development Finance and Policy|
|• Public Safety Finance and Policy|
|• Ways and Means|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Mullery served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Commerce and Regulatory Reform|
|• Jobs and Economic Development Finance|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Mullery served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Civil Justice, Chair|
|• Commerce and Labor|
|• Public Safety Policy and Oversight|
Elections for the office of Minnesota House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 12, 2014, and a general election took place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 3, 2014. Incumbent Joe Mullery was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Fred Statema was unopposed in the Republican primary. Mullery defeated Statema in the general election, receiving 81.98% of the vote.
Mullery won re-election to the House in District 59A in 2012. He defeated Marcus Harcus in the Democratic primary on August 14 and defeated Cindy Lilly (R) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 59A, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Joe Mullery Incumbent||84.5%||14,017|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 59A Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Joe Mullery Incumbent||77.3%||1,441|
Mullery won re-election to the District 58A Seat in 2010. He defeated David Anthony Boyd in the August 10 Democratic primary. He defeated Chris Hiatt (R) in the general election on November 2, 2010.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 58A (2010)|
|Joe Mullery (DFL)||6,798||78.99%|
|Chris Hiatt (R)||1,775||20.63%|
Joe Mullery raised $43,682 for his campaign.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 58A (2008)|
|Joe Mullery (DFL)||11,814||81.96%|
|Grant Cermak (R)||2,530||17.55%|
Comprehensive donor information for Mullery is available dating back to 1996. Based on available campaign finance records, Mullery raised a total of $279,871 during that time period. This information was last updated on December 13, 2013.
|Joe Mullery's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Minnesota House, District 59A||$23,758|
|2010||Minnesota House, District 58A||$31,377|
|2008||Minnesota House, District 58A||$43,682|
|2006||Minnesota House, District 58A||$39,443|
|2004||Minnesota House, District 58A||$32,304|
|2002||Minnesota House, District 58A||$30,259|
|2000||Minnesota House, District 58A||$33,956|
|1998||Minnesota House, District 58A||$20,965|
|1996||Minnesota House, District 58A||$24,127|
|Grand Total Raised||$279,871|
2012Mullery won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Mullery raised a total of $23,758.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Joe Mullery's campaign in 2012|
|LDC Political Fund Laborers||$500|
|Minneapolis Federation of Teachers Local 59||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$23,758|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2010, Mullery received $31,377 in campaign donations. The largest donors are listed below.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Joe Mullery's campaign in 2010|
|Minneapolis Police Relief Association||$700|
|Minneapolis Federation Of Teachers||$500|
|Minnesota Teachers Retirement Association||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$31,377|
Listed below are the two largest contributors to Joe Mullery's 2008 campaign.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from February 25 through May 19.
- Liberty Minnesota: 2014
- Legislators are scored on bills of interest to an organization advocating "limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty."
- NARAL Pro-Choice Minnesota: 2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on pro-choice issues.
In 2013, the Legislature was in session from January 8 to May 20.
- Americans for Prosperity Minnesota: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored "on key votes on issues concerning economic freedom, which includes taxes, budgets and spending, health care and more."
- Minnesota Family Council: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on votes of interest to a socially conservative "pro-family" organization.
- Minnesota Majority: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on "a wide range of issues including taxes, government spending, elections, childcare unionization, property rights and energy policy" per "the traditional values position."
- Taxpayers League of Minnesota: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on votes of interest to an economically conservative organization.
- NARAL Pro-Choice Minnesota: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on votes regarding reproductive issues.
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
Mullery has been Chair of the 4th Ward Democratic-Farmer-Labor Club, and a member of the 5th Congressional District Outreach Committee Democratic-Farmer-Labor, and the Democratic-Farmer-Labor 5th District Executive Committee.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Joe + Mullery + Minnesota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Office website
- Campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1996
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Mullery
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2014 General Election Results," accessed November 4, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "State Canvassing Board Report," August 19, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2014 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed July 25, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, 2012 Candidate Filings - State Representative, accessed July 23, 2012
- AP "Minnesota - Summary Vote Results," accessed August 15, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2010 Election Results," accessed March 9, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "All Races by Legislative District," accessed April 23, 2014
- Follow the Money's report on Mullery's 2008 campaign contributions
- Follow the Money, "Mullery, Joe," accessed December 13, 2013
- Follow the Money - 2010 Campaign contributions
- Liberty Minnesota, "About Us," accessed July 25, 2014
- Americans for Prosperity, "2013 Legislative Scorecard," accessed July 26, 2014
- Minnesota Family Council, "2013 Minnesota Family Council Legislative Scorecard," accessed July 26, 2014
- Minnesota Majority, "Scorecards," accessed July 26, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2012," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2011," accessed May 15, 2014
Diane Loeffler (DFL)
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 59A
| Succeeded by|
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 58A
| Succeeded by|
Mary Liz Holberg (R)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |