|Alaska State Senate District D|
|Per diem||$189 or $234/day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|High school||Lathrop High School|
|Bachelor's||West Virginia University|
|Birthday||October 17, 1948|
|Place of birth||Fairbanks, AK|
Joe Thomas was born and raised in Fairbanks, Alaska, attending Fairbanks Public Schools and graduating from Lathrop High School in 1966. Joe Thomas attended the University of Alaska Fairbanks and later attended West Virginia University, earning his bachelor's degree in Psychology.
Thomas joined the Fairbanks Laborers Local 942 as a general laborer in 1966. He advanced quickly through the rank and file, being elected Business Manager/Secretary Treasurer in 1977, a position he would hold until 2003.
During his time heading Local 942, Thomas was active in numerous business, community and natural resource development organizations including Main Street Fairbanks, the Fairbanks Industrial Development Authority, the Resource Development Council of Alaska and the University of Alaska Board of Regents.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Thomas served on these committees:
- Subcommittee on Commerce, Community and Economic Development, Chair
- Subcommittee on Court System
- Subcommittee on Labor and Workforce Development, Chair
- Subcommittee on Natural Resources, Chair
- Subcommittee on University of Alaska
- Select Committee on Legislative Ethics, Alaska State Senate, Alternating Chair
- Transportation Committee, Alaska State Senate, Co-Chair
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Thomas served on these committees:
- Community & Regional Affairs Committee, Alaska State Senate Vice-Chairperson
- Education Committee, Alaska State Senate Co-Chairperson
- Finance Committee, Alaska State Senate
- Labor and Workforce Development Finance Sub-Committee, Chair
- Commerce, Community and Economic Development Finance Sub-Committee, Chair
- Health & Social Services Committee, Alaska State Senate
- Labor & Commerce Committee, Alaska State Senate Vice Chairperson
- See also: Alaska State Senate elections, 2012
Thomas ran for re-election in the 2012 election for Alaska State Senate District 1 (A). He ran unopposed in the August 28, 2012, Democratic primary and was defeated by incumbent John Coghill, Jr. (R) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Alaska State Senate, District 1 (A), General Election, 2012|
|Republican||John Coghill Incumbent||60.5%||9,464|
|Democratic||Joe Thomas Incumbent||39.5%||6,175|
- See also: Alaska State Senate elections, 2010
|Alaska State Senate, District D General Election (2010)|
|Joe Thomas (D)||9,723|
|Pete Higgins (R)||7,245|
|Alaska State Senate, District D (2006)|
|Joe Thomas (D)||8,992|
|Ralph Seekins (R)||5,952|
|David Braun (G)||415|
In 2010, Thomas raised $112,675 in contributions. 
His four largest contributors were:
|Thomas, Joe J||$5,106|
|Alaska Association Of Realtors||$2,000|
|Electrical Workers Local 1547||$2,000|
In 2006, Thomas collected $137,908 in donations.
His five largest contributors in 2006 were:
|Senate Democratic Campaign Committee of Alaska||$14,850|
|Electrical Workers Local 1547||$3,000|
|Alaska Public Employees Association||$2,000|
|Laborers Local 942||$2,000|
Thomas represents Alaska State Senate District D, which includes Ester, Goldstream Valley, Fox, Chatanika, Two Rivers, Farmers Loop, Steese Highway, the Denali Borough and the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
Joe Thomas was born and raised in Fairbanks, Alaska, and has three children and two grandchildren.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Joe + Thomas + Alaska + Senate"
- Joseph Napolitan, Pioneering Campaign Consultant, Dies at 84 - New York Times
- Northeast Ohio native Dan Sullivan, running for a US Senate seat in Alaska ... - Plain Dealer
- WND Says Social Justice Doesn't Come from Jesus but from the KGB - PoliticusUSA
- What Beacon Hill has in store for you this week - Cape Cod Today
- 'Ender's Game,' not the book, still good movie - Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman
- US Presidential Elections and Liberian Affairs - Patriotic Vanguard
- Obama to Landrieu: I Don't Need You Anymore - Town Hall
- Alaska Job Corps Center graduates for Nov. 15 - Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman
- Blend it like Burchell - Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman
- Sikh Group Alleges US Undercounts Airport Discrimination Complaints - Huffington Post
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Official campaign website
- Facebook campaign page
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006
- Senate Bipartisan Working Group biography
- ↑ Alaska Division of Elections - August 28, 2012 Primary Candidate List
- ↑ Alaska Division of Elections, Official 2012 Primary Results
- ↑ General election results
- ↑ "Alaska State Senate official election results"
- ↑ "Campaign funds"
- ↑ 2010 contributions
- ↑ 2006 contributions to Joe Thomas
- ↑ Alaska Elections District Map, 2002
|Alaska State Senate District D
| Succeeded by|
Mike Dunleavy (R)