|Running for Governor of Georgia|
|Date of primary||May 20, 2014|
|Georgia State Superintendent of Schools|
|January 10, 2011 - present|
|January 12, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Campbell High School (1984)|
|Bachelor's||Berry College (1988)|
|Master's||State University of West Georgia|
|Ph.D.||University of Georgia|
|Place of birth||Cobb County, Georgia|
Before becoming superintendent, Barge was director of secondary curriculum and instruction with the Barlow County (GA) School System. He has also served as a principal and assistant principal, and has taught both high school English and middle school Spanish. Barge holds a bachelor's degree from Berry College in Rome, GA.
Barge's seat is up for election in 2014. While eligible to run for a second term as superintendent, Barge is running instead for Governor of Georgia. He is seeking the Republican nomination in the primary on May 20, 2014. The general election takes place on November 4, 2014.
Barge came into the office of state superintendent with over 20 years experience in education. During that time he served as a high school English teacher, middle school Spanish teacher, assistant principal, and principal. He was also the State Director of Career, Technical and Agriculture Education for the Georgia Department of Education.
- BA in Communications/Public Relations - Berry College (1988)
- MA - State University of West Georgia
- PhD - University of Georgia
Georgia Superintendent of Schools (2011-present)
Barge has served as Georgia State Superintendent of Schools since 2011.
- See also: Georgia gubernatorial election, 2014
Barge is eligible for re-election to his current post of state superintendent in 2014, but he has has opted to run for Governor of Georgia instead. He is seeking the Republican nomination in the primary on May 20, 2014. The general election takes place on November 4, 2014.
|Georgia State School Superintendent, 2010|
|Libertarian||Kira Griffiths Willis||4.9%||124,547|
|Election Results Via: Georgia Secretary of State|
Comprehensive donor information for Barge is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Barge raised a total of $145,797 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 8, 2013.
|John Barge's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Georgia Superintendent of Public Instruction||$28,254|
|2010||Georgia Superintendent of Public Instruction||$117,543|
|Grand Total Raised||$145,797|
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of John Barge's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|John Barge's Campaign Contributions|
Georgia Superintendent of Public Instruction
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$365,859 (Dem.)|
|Top 5 contributors||Aero Systems Engineering, Inc.||$12,200|
|C.A. Barge Properties/DBA Henry Properties, LLC||$6,100|
|Technical Training Aids||$3,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Barge + Georgia + Education"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Georgia school funding at issue as Barge takes on Deal - Chattanooga Times Free Press
- Board of Education: School districts to decide on make-up snow days - WSB Atlanta
- State superintendent Barge to address education group - Atlanta Journal Constitution
- Georgia BOE to allow school systems not to make-up snow days - Online Athens
- Marietta schools to lengthen days because of winter storms - WGCL Atlanta
- Gwinnett County Public Schools to announce snow makeup plan Monday - Gwinnettdailypost.com
- Georgia high school seniors improve on AP exams - Gwinnettdailypost.com
- David Pennington makes his case - Creative Loafing Atlanta
- Georgia seniors improve on AP exams - Gwinnettdailypost.com
- Barge praises Roopville Elementary - Times-Georgian
- Superintendent of Schools
- Georgia State Superintendent of Schools
- Governor of Georgia
- Georgia gubernatorial election, 2014
- Georgia school districts
- Georgia Department of Education
- Georgia Department of Education - Superintendent Barge
- Project Vote Smart biographical profile
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010
- Georgia Department of Education, "Dr. John D. Barge, State School Superintendent," accessed March 21, 2013
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official Results of the Tuesday, November 02, 2010 General Election," accessed March 26, 2013
- Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for John D. Barge," accessed July 8, 2013
- Follow the Money.org
|Georgia State Superintendent of Schools
| Succeeded by|