|Running for Governor of Georgia|
|Date of primary||May 20, 2014|
|Georgia State Superintendent of Schools|
|January 10, 2011 - present|
|January 12, 2015|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Campbell High School (1984)|
|Bachelor's||Berry College (1988)|
|Master's||State University of West Georgia|
|Ph.D.||University of Georgia|
|Place of birth||Cobb County, Georgia|
Before becoming superintendent, Barge was director of secondary curriculum and instruction with the Barlow County (GA) School System. He has also served as a principal and assistant principal, and has taught both high school English and middle school Spanish. Barge holds a bachelor's degree from Berry College in Rome, GA.
Barge's seat is up for election in 2014. While eligible to run for a second term as superintendent, Barge is running instead for Governor of Georgia. He is seeking the Republican nomination in the primary on May 20, 2014. The general election takes place on November 4, 2014.
Barge came into the office of state superintendent with over 20 years experience in education. During that time he served as a high school English teacher, middle school Spanish teacher, assistant principal, and principal. He was also the State Director of Career, Technical and Agriculture Education for the Georgia Department of Education.
- BA in Communications/Public Relations - Berry College (1988)
- MA - State University of West Georgia
- PhD - University of Georgia
Georgia Superintendent of Schools (2011-present)
Barge has served as Georgia State Superintendent of Schools since 2011.
- See also: Georgia gubernatorial election, 2014
Barge is eligible for re-election to his current post of state superintendent in 2014, but he has has opted to run for Governor of Georgia instead. He is seeking the Republican nomination in the primary on May 20, 2014. The general election takes place on November 4, 2014.
|Georgia State School Superintendent, 2010|
|Libertarian||Kira Griffiths Willis||4.9%||124,547|
|Election Results Via: Georgia Secretary of State|
Comprehensive donor information for Barge is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Barge raised a total of $145,797 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 8, 2013.
|John Barge's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Georgia Superintendent of Public Instruction||$28,254|
|2010||Georgia Superintendent of Public Instruction||$117,543|
|Grand Total Raised||$145,797|
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of John Barge's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|John Barge's Campaign Contributions|
Georgia Superintendent of Public Instruction
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$365,859 (Dem.)|
|Top 5 contributors||Aero Systems Engineering, Inc.||$12,200|
|C.A. Barge Properties/DBA Henry Properties, LLC||$6,100|
|Technical Training Aids||$3,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Barge + Georgia + Education"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Kira Willis Joins the Race to Replace John Barge - Peach Pundit
- Georgia school board members meet in Atlanta - Atlanta Journal Constitution
- County by county news for Saturday - Atlanta Journal Constitution
- State School Superintendent tours schools in run for Governor - WALB-TV
- Kyle Wingfield, John Barge, and Common Core - Peach Pundit
- Kara Willis joins crowded GOP field for State School Superintendent - The Albany Herald
- Carter touts education as reason to elect him governor in Athens speech - Online Athens
- Barge wants focus on education spending, not money for new sports stadiums - Atlanta Journal Constitution
- Crawford: We'll give you money if you don't need it - Savannah Morning News
- Crawford: Public money goes to the rich - Gainesville Times
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Superintendent of Schools
- Georgia State Superintendent of Schools
- Governor of Georgia
- Georgia gubernatorial election, 2014
- Georgia Department of Education - Superintendent Barge
- Project Vote Smart biographical profile
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Georgia Department of Education, "Dr. John D. Barge, State School Superintendent," accessed March 21, 2013
- ↑ Georgia Secretary of State, "Official Results of the Tuesday, November 02, 2010 General Election," accessed March 26, 2013
- ↑ Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for John D. Barge," accessed July 8, 2013
- ↑ Follow the Money.org
|Georgia State Superintendent of Schools
| Succeeded by|