|Ohio House of Representatives District 65|
|January 1, 2013 - present|
|January 1, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Ohio Central Committeeman|
|2004 - 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Northern Kentucky University|
|Place of birth||Kentucky|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Becker served on the following committees:
|Ohio Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Ways and Means|
|• Transportation, Public Safety and Homeland Security|
Becker's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "Encourage unwed mothers to place 'unplanned' infants up for adoption. That would discourage abortion, reduce the number of single parent homes, and be a blessing to many parents seeking to adopt."
- Excerpt: "I've been a Life Member of the NRA since the early 1990s and a concealed carry permit holder since 2005. In previous elections, I've been endorsed by Buckeye Firearms ("A" rating), Ohio Gun PAC, and Ohioans for Concealed Carry."
- Excerpt: "Reduce Ohio's nine tax brackets to a single bracket flat tax."
- Excerpt: "Any federal benefits would be in violation of the 10th Amendment. Government sponsored redistribution of wealth is akin to sticking a gun to the head of a taxpayer, taking his money, and then handing it over to somebody else."
In October 2013, Becker introduced legislation to increase the term limit on members of the Ohio State Legislature to 12 years. All elected and appointed officials in the state would also have a 12-year limit on their terms in office. For six statewide offices, the term limit would remain at 8 years but also include the Ohio speaker of the House and president of the state senate. The amendment would also apply to boards and commissions in each of the state’s jurisdictions. Becker stated in a press release announcing his resolution, "Term limits are generally popular with the people, but not so popular with elected officials, and I believe there are good arguments on both sides of the debate."
Elections for the office of Ohio House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place May 6, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 5, 2014. Charlie Carlier was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent John Becker was unopposed in the Republican primary. Becker and Carlier will face off in the general election.
Becker won the 2012 election for the District 65 seat in the Ohio House. Becker defeated Michael Brem in the March 6 Republican primary election and defeated former county Grand Jury Foreman Steve Myers (D) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Ohio House of Representatives, District 65, General Election, 2012|
|Ohio House of Representatives, District 64 Republican Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Becker is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Becker raised a total of $58,711 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 4, 2013.
|John Becker's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Ohio State House, District 65||$58,711|
|Grand Total Raised||$58,711|
2012Becker won election to the Ohio State House in 2012. During that election cycle, Becker raised a total of $58,711.
|Ohio State House 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Becker's campaign in 2012|
|Ohio Republican Party||$7,816|
|Ohio Association of Realtors||$1,500|
|Ohio State Farm Agents||$1,000|
|Lykins, D. Jeff||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$58,711|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Becker and his wife have one child. They currently reside in Union Township, Ohio.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Becker + Ohio + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Ohio House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Ohio General Assembly
- Joint Committees
- Ohio state legislative districts
- Official campaign website
- Profile from the Ohio House of Representatives
- Profile from Open States
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- Friends of Becker, "Issues," accessed May 22, 2013
- WatchDog.org, "Proposed OH amendment imposes term limits — on everyone," accessed November 29, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Official primary election results for May 6, 2014," accessed July 3, 2014
- Ohio Chamber of Commerce, "2012 General Assembly Primary Candidates," January 17, 2012
- Ohio Secretary of State - March 6, 2012 election results
- followthemoney.org, "Becker, John," accessed June 4, 2013
- Friends of Becker, accessed May 22, 2013
State of Ohio
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Superintendent of Industrial Compliance and Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |