John J. Benoit
Senator Benoit speaks about school choice
Prior to joining the state senate, Benoit was a member of the California State Assembly from 2002-2008. He also served as a member of the Board of Education of Desert Sands Unified School District.
Benoit has degrees from the National Academy of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, California State University-San Bernardino and California State University-Los Angeles.
He served as the Indio Area Commander of the California Highway Patrol in 1988, as an officer with the highway patrol in the Los Angeles, Sacramento and Bakersfield regions from 1973-1988 and earlier, as an officer with the Los Angeles County Police Department.
He is married to Sheryl Benoit and together they have two children.
Capitol Weekly, California's major weekly periodical covering the state legislature, publishes an annual legislative scorecard to pin down the political or ideological leanings of every member of the legislature based on how they voted on an assortment of bills in the most recent legislative session. The 2009 scores were based on votes on 19 bills, but did not include how legislators voted on the Proposition 1A (2009). On the scorecard, "100" is a perfect liberal score and "0" is a perfect conservative score.
On the 2009 Capitol Weekly legislative scorecard, Benoit ranked as a 14.
Benoit served on these standing committees:
- Public Safety
- Energy, Utilities and Communications
- Budget and Fiscal Review
- Governmental Organization
- Natural Resources and Water
- Public Employees and Retirement
37th District profile
California Senate District 37 sits within Riverside County. Moreno Valley is the largest city in the 37th District. Corona and Norco take in about a fifth of its residents. It includes Lake Elsinore, Canyon Lake, San Jacinto, Hemet, Perris and the unincorporated areas of Romoland and Sun City.
In the San Gorgiano Pass area, the district includes the cities of Beaumont, Banning, Calimesa, and the unincorporated areas of Cherry Valley and Cabazon.
The Coachella Valley cities of Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Desert Hot Springs, Palm Desert, Indian Wells, and La Quinta are in District 37, as are the unincorporated areas of Bermuda Dunes and Desert Center.
- Official website of State Senator John J. Benoit
- Biographical profile of John J. Benoit on Project Vote Smart
- Benoit campaign website
- Campaign contributions: 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008
- Instant Riverside, "Sen. John J. Benoit puts off his resignation from California Senate," November 9, 2009
- Capitol Weekly, "Capitol Weekly's Legislative Scorecard", December 17, 2009
- Fox and Hounds Daily, "Random Thoughts on the Political Scene", December 18, 2009
- Capitol Weekly", Downloadable 2009 Capitol Weekly State Legislative Scorecard
- Senate Public Safety committee membership list
- Senate Energy, Utilities and Communications committee membership
- California Budget and Fiscal Review committee membership
- Senate Standing Committee on Government Organization
- Senate Natural Resources and Water committee membership
- Senate Standing Committee on Public Employment and Retirement
- Overview of Senate District 37