|Board Member, Saint Paul School Board, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November, 2001|
|Next general||November, 2017|
|Bachelor's||University of Minnesota-Twin Cities|
|Master's||University of Minnesota|
John Brodrick earned his B.S. in Social Studies and English from the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities in 1966 and his M.Ed. degree in Social Studies from the University of Minnesota in 1974. Brodrick taught in Saint Paul Public Schools from 1966 to 2000, and he also served as an athletics coach for much of that time.
|Saint Paul Public Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Jean O'Connell Incumbent||29.3%||19,621|
|Nonpartisan||John Brodrick Incumbent||24.6%||16,449|
|Source: Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Results for Selected Contests in School District No. 625 - St. Paul," accessed December 18, 2013|
John Brodrick began the race with an existing debt of $1,826.66 from his previous campaigns. He reported $7,300.00 in contributions and $4,262.12 in expenditures to the Ramsey County Election Office, which left his campaign with $1,211.22 on hand.
- Saint Paul Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party
- St. Paul Federation of Teachers
- Saint Paul Public Schools board members Elona Street-Stewart, Louise Seeba, Keith Hardy and Mary Doran
- Saint Paul City Council members Chris Tolbert, Dave Thune, Dan Bostrom and Kathy Lantry
- Ramsey County Attorney John Choi
- Ramsey County Commissioners Rafael Ortega, Janice Rettman, Jim McDonough and Victoria Reinhardt
- Minnesota State Senator Sandra Pappas and Minnesota State Representatives Erin Murphy, Carlos Mariani, Rena Moran, Alice Hausman, Sheldon Johnson, Tim Mahoney and John Lesch
- Saint Paul Area Regional Labor Federation, Saint Paul Federation of Teachers Local 28 COPE, Teamsters DRIVE, AFSCME PEOPLE
|Saint Paul Public Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2009|
|Nonpartisan||Elona Street-Stewart Incumbent||21.9%||16,279|
|Nonpartisan||John Brodrick Incumbent||18.7%||13,906|
|Nonpartisan||Tom Goldstein Incumbent||18.2%||13,512|
|Source: Ramsey County, Minnesota, "Summary of Totals," accessed October 22, 2013|
When receiving his endorsement from the Saint Paul DFL, Brodrick highlighted the importance of ensuring that the district's "[...]schools are safe and welcoming spaces for all of our students."
What was at stake?
There were three seats on the school board up for election on November 5, 2013. Board President Jean O'Connell and fellow incumbent John Brodrick sought and won re-election, but fellow incumbent Elona Street-Stewart did not file for re-election. They faced three newcomers in Chue Vue, Terrance Bushard and Greg Copeland for the three seats.
About the district
- See also: Saint Paul Public Schools, Minnesota
Ramsey County underperformed in comparison to the rest of Minnesota in terms of its median rates of average household income and poverty rate but outperformed the state in terms of higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Ramsey County was $52,713 compared to $58,476 for the state of Minnesota. The poverty rate in Ramsey County was 16.4% compared to 11.0% for the entire state. The United States Census Bureau also found that 38.8% of Ramsey County residents aged 25 years and older attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 31.8% in Minnesota.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Brodrick + Saint + Paul + Public + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- LinkedIn, "John Brodrick," accessed October 23, 2013
- Ramsey County, Minnesota, "Campaign Finance Reports - 2013," accessed December 27, 2013
- Saint Paul City DFL, "Saint Paul DFL candidates file for mayor and school board races," July 30, 2013
- Re-Elected John Brodrick - Saint Paul Public Schools, "Home," accessed October 23, 2013
- Mila Koumpilova, TwinCities.com, "St. Paul school board candidates agree on problems, but not on fixes," October 17, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Ramsey County, Minnesota," accessed October 15, 2013
- Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Election Results and Statistics," accessed October 15, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014