Burton is the sponsor of a Tax on California Oil and Natural Gas Initiative.
- 1965-1974: Member of the California State Assembly
- 1974-1982: Member of the U.S. House of Representatives. Burton first won election to the U.S. House in a special election on June 4, 1974 to fill the California CD-6 seat made vacant by the resignation of Congressman William S. Mailliard. On November 5 of that same year, he was elected to the California CD-5 seat. He was re-elected in CD-5 in 1976, 1978 and 1980. Burton resigned this position in 1982 when he entered rehab for cocaine and alcohol abuse.
- 1988-1996: Member of the California State Assembly
- 1996-2004: Member of the California State Senate
- "Why the **** should Amazon skate when we have a state where we are shutting down schools, shutting down hospitals, firing teachers, firing cops, firing firemen, screwing mental health people — because they don't want to have a god damned sales tax like everybody else...My daughter gave me a Kindle for my birthday present, and I will not use it because of these god damned people at Amazon. I go to my bookstore, buy a god damned book, and sit and read it. It is that simple. I can read it taking a crap, as opposed to looking at a Kindle or a computer taking a crap."
- "I have always considered golf a good walk spoiled. As a recovering cocaine addict, I am surprised that anyone would think that it is at all constructive to spend one's free time using that drug."
- "After reading about the despicable act by the Republican minority, denying Goodwin Liu an up-or-down vote to sit on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, I believe it is time to consider taking a page from the Republican playbook when they were in the majority and threatened to exercise the nuclear option when dealing with Presidential appointees. Many Democrats throughout California and the nation are sick and tired of the minority party’s disproportionate impact on one of the great legacies of President Obama, an enlightened and intelligent judiciary."
- Sacramento Bee, "John Burton can't imagine 'hit squad' for Molly Munger", February 10, 2012
- Petaluma Patch, "The GOP Versus Phil Burton’s Ghost", August 25, 2011
- Geek Wire, "Geek Humor: Why this foul-mouthed California politician refuses to use his Kindle", December 6, 2011
- Sacramento Bee, "John Burton slams Grover Norquist for golf & cocaine comment", March 18, 2011
- Talking Points Memo, "Post-Liu Filibuster, California Dems Tell Reid To Break Out The Nuclear Option", May 25, 2011
|California State Senate District 3
| Succeeded by|