John Calhoun (Michigan)
|Former candidate for|
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 65|
|Bachelor's||Spring Arbor University|
|Place of birth||Tecumseh, Michigan|
A Michigan native, Calhoun grew up in Tecumseh. He earned his B.A. in Human Resource Management at Spring Arbor University. His professional experience includes working as a farmer and for the United Parcel Services in various roles including logistics manager, international controller (Mexico), Michigan district financial manager and delivery driver from 1967 through 2004.
Calhoun's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Roads / Infrastructure
- Excerpt: "Better Distribution of road funding to allow local units to prioritize projects based on the needs of the community"
Economic Opportunities / Jobs
- Excerpt: "Create a barrier free atmosphere for capital investment through the state tax code."
Education / Vocation
- Excerpt: "School accountability"
Part Time Legislature
- Excerpt: "The concept of a part-time citizen legislator should be explored as it seems to work in many other states."
Elections for the office of Michigan House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 5, 2014, and a general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 22, 2014. Bonnie Johnson defeated Ed Peterson in the Democratic primary. Six challengers ran in the Republican primary; Brett Roberts came in first with John Calhoun following. Roberts defeated Johnson and Ronald Muszynski (L) in the general election.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 65 General Election, 2014|
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 65 Democratic Primary, 2014|
In 2014, Calhoun's endorsements included the following:
- Michigan Farm Bureau
- Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners
- Small Business Association of Michigan
- National Rifle Association
- Michigan Pork Producers Association
- Michigan Townships Association
- Hank Choate
- Mike Swope
- Colleen Gibbs
- Benjamin J. Soltis
- David K. Elwell
- Phil Duckham
- Jim Spink
- Harvey Hawkins
- Bob Elrod
- Robert Jacokes
- Phil Preston
- Mary France
- Julie Wilson
- Colleen Gibbs
Calhoun and his wife, Jacqueline, live in Clark Lake, Michigan. They have two sons.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Calhoun + Michigan + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Michigan House of Representatives
- Michigan House of Representatives District 65
- Michigan House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Michigan State Legislature
- Official campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- John Calhoun on Facebook
- John Calhoun on Twitter
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," accessed May 27, 2014
- Information submitted through Ballotpedia's biographical submission form on May 31, 2014]
- John C. Calhoun for State Representative, "About John," accessed June 2, 2014
- calhoun65th.com, "Issues," accessed July 30, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "Representative in State Legislature," accessed August 6, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "Representative in State Legislature," accessed December 5, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan General Candidate Listing," accessed September 8, 2014
- calhoun65th.com, "Endorsements," accessed July 30, 2014
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |