John Chizek and Steve Duncan recall, Chadron, Nebraska (2011)
An effort to recall John Chizek and Steve Duncan from their positions as mayor and vice mayor was launched in Chadron, Nebraska. The paperwork to collect signatures for the recall was filed by Dr. Robert Peno in June 2011. The recall was successfull, as signatures were turned in and voters recalled both men from their positions on October 4, 2011. The positions were filled by new Mayor Jim Mapes and new Vice Mayor Billy Barth.
Path to the ballot
The signature gathering effort must have collected at least 265 signatures to place the recall on the ballot. After signatures were submitted, Dawes County Clerk Cheryl Feist validated those signatures in August 2011.
- Rapid City Journal, "Chadron recall petitions verified, election likely," August 9, 2011
- Rapid City Journal, "Statement halted," September 7, 2011
- Rapid City Journal, "More info sought," September 20, 2011
- Rapid City Journal, "Duncan unsure why he is being targeted," September 27, 2011
- Rapid City Journal, "Many unanswered questions," September 28, 2011
State of Nebraska
List of Nebraska ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Nebraska Public Service Commission |