was a Republican
candidate for District 5
of the Maine State Senate
. The primary election
was on June 8, 2010 and the general election was on November 2, 2010
Cushing's campaign website listed his leadership priorities for change: 
- Energy - "Energy independence is a Maine issue requiring leadership in Augusta. We cannot afford to wait for others to determine our future for us."
- Taxes - "End the unrelenting cycle of tax increases. Each time taxes go up, the number of jobs in Maine goes down. A sound economy requires sound tax policies."
- Spending - "A six billion dollar budget ought to be enough. LImiting choices, making priorities and being disciplined will get the job done."
- Economy - "A strong economy requires lowering the cost of energy, limiting taxes and controlling spending. This is the kind of leadership Augusta should be providing."
- See also: Maine State Senate elections, 2010
Cushing ran unopposed in the June 8th Republican primary. Cushing was defeated by Democratic incumbent Barry Hobbins in the November 2 general election.
| Maine State Senate, District 5
| Barry Hobbins (D)
| John Cushing (R)