Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Attorney General of California|
- Doctor of Philosophy degree, Claremont Graduate School in government
- Juris Doctorate degree, University of Chicago Law School
Upon receiving his law degree, Eastman worked as a law clerk for Associate Justice Clarence Thomas on the United States Supreme Court and the Honorable J. Michael Luttig, a judge for the Fourth Circuit United States Court of Appeals. He later joined the national law firm of Kirkland & Ellis, where as an attorney he focused on complex commercial contract and consumer litigation. In August 1999, Eastman was appointed as a faculty member for the Chapman University School of Law, wherein he specialized in constitutional law, legal history, and property. Seven years later, he was named Interim Associate Dean of Administration before being chosen as Dean in June 2007.
In late-March 2010, Eastman filed suit in Sacramento Superior Court to have his ballot description reinstated. Secretary of State Debra Bowen rejected the his title of "assistant attorney general" believing "it was misleading to voters."  While it is true that Eastman does hold such a title, it is for South Dakota and not California.
About a week later, Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Timothy Frawley agreed with Bowen's assessment and similarly rejected the candidate's second choice, ""taxpayer advocate/attorney." He ordered that Eastman "to be identified instead as a "constitutional law attorney."" The case against the former dean's use of the title was joined by former Los Angeles District Attorney Steve Cooley, a challenger of Eastman's for the Republican nomination in the state's attorney general race. A spokesman for his campaign praised the decision, contending that Eastman had tried to use a "blatantly false and misleading ballot designation in an effort to fool the voters." 
- Chairman, Federalist Society’s Federalism & Separation of Powers practice group
- Director, Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence
|2010 Race for Attorney General - Republican Primary |
|Republican Party||Steve Cooley||47.3%|
|Republican Party||John Eastman||34.2%|
|Republican Party||Tom Harman||18.5%|
- Chapman University School of Law - John Eastman's Faculty profile
- The Claremont Institute - John C. Eastman profile
- John Eastman for Attorney General Campaign website
- John Eastman's Facebook profile
- John Eastman's Twitter account
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sacramento Bee, "A new general in marriage war", October 16, 2011
- ↑ Legal Newsline "Legal scholar says he's ideal to 'fix the mess' left by Jerry Brown" 20 Jan. 2010
- ↑ Los Angeles Times "Eastman files suit over 'assistant attorney general' title" 26 March, 2010
- ↑ Los Angeles Times "Court orders title change for California attorney general candidate" 2 April, 2010
- ↑ California Secretary of State - 2010 Statewide Primary Election Results