Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Oregon House of Representatives District 53|
Huddle's campaign website listed eight main issues, selections follow:
- Sustainable Jobs: "Deschutes county unemployment ranked 353rd (out of 373 [high] communities) with an unemployment rate in excess of 16% (USBL). In comparison, the unemployment rate for all of Oregon was 10.5%. That means for January of 2010 there were 12,880 living in our county that were unemployed! My first priority is to work to restore sustainable jobs to central Oregon!"
- Transportation: "While central Oregon needs good transportation, it is obvious that ODOT's classification failed to allow for the danger to local residents. There are times when the truck traffic is so heavy that anyone else using the highway is in danger...Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad runs through central Oregon. I believe that the road has sufficient room to handle Amtrak commuter trains from Portland to Klamath Falls and south...There are several benefits to adding commuter trains. One, was a obvious commuter use from one community to another. Second, having reliable and consistent transportation opens the communities along the route for sustainable growth. Third, there are four ski resorts along the route and numerous other tourist destinations."
- Healthcare: "Congress recently passed landmark health care legislation. No matter what we might think of that legislation, it is certain that Oregon will have to flesh out that legislation so that it meets the needs of Oregonians. We need to ensure that the healthcare cost to each of us was affordable (equal to or less than we are paying now), Oregonians are actually covered, and we get workable coverage"
- Consumer Protection: "Consumer protection is not just about passing laws to put bad companies out of business and provide their officers with free room and board. It was about crafting policy in such a way that the consumer is not only protected from harm but also about promoting healthy consumer practices. 'Let the watchwords of all our people be the old familiar watchwords of honesty, decency, fair-dealing, and commonsense (Teddy Roosevelt).'"
- Education: "Today, opportunity is often limited by economics. When we cut programs in our public schools and/or we eliminate higher education programs or raise tuition, we create a disproportionate education system...We need to work together to provide stable funding for public education at all levels. I am convinced it can be done."
- Public Safety: "We are in a war that seems to never end -- the war against drugs. I believe we need to do things to advance that war...Estimates of the annual cost of crime for this country are high. Over ten years ago, one researcher postulated that the cost was $1.7 trillion -- that's in excess of $4,000 for every man, woman and child in the United States, imagine what it costs now. We need to make a serious effort to prevent crime -- it's far cheaper. Jurisdictions all over the world are taking crime prevention seriously, it's time join them!"
- Veterans and Active Military: "At my discharge, I still remember the feeling of being a civilian after nearly four years. Even though I had plans to attend college, I still recall the sudden emptiness and a feeling of being alone. I recall how the college I went to didn't know what to do with a returning veteran...As a veteran, I pledge to reach out and hear the needs of our veterans and active duty personnel. We cannot let them down!"
- Environment: "The environment is essentially all that we live in, enjoy and gain sustenance from. We must be proactive to not damage our environment and to deprive others, including future generations, from it's benefits."
Huddle ran for election in the 2012 election for Oregon House District 55. Huddle was unopposed in the May 15 Democratic primary and was defeated by incumbent Mike McLane (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Oregon House of Representatives, District 55, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Mike McLane Incumbent||68.1%||18,836|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "John + Huddle + Oregon + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- "Oregon Votes," State Voter Guide Profile
- Official campaign facebook page
- Official campaign blog
- Oregon May 18 primary election results
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Oregon Live Voter's Guide Profile
- Imagine Election Profile