John Jay Lee
|John Jay Lee|
|Nevada State Senate, Clark 1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
|Term limits||3 terms (12 years)|
|Nevada State Assembly|
|1997 - 2001|
|Place of birth||Ruislip Air Force Base, Middlesex, England|
|Religion||Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints|
Lee received his diploma from Rancho High School. He also has licenses in Securities Life and Health Insurance.
Lee is a former director/Founding Stockholder of Nevada First Bank. He is a Licensed Tile and Marble Contractor and a Licensed Plumbing Contractor. He is currently Senior Vice President of a financial services company. He is also President/Owner of Vegas Plumbing Service, Incorporated, and Champion Tile and Marble, Incorporated.
Lee served in the Nevada State Assembly from 1996 to 2001.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Lee served on these committees:
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Lee served on these committees:
- See also: Nevada State Senate elections, 2012
|Nevada State Senate, District 1 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|John Lee Incumbent||37%||1,318|
On August 1, 2011, Lee declared his candidacy for U.S. House of Representatives. Lee said he would run in the newly created 4th Congressional district. Ultimately, he opted to run for re-election to the state senate, leaving majority leader Steven Horsford unopposed in the Democratic primary.
|Nevada State Senate, Clark 1 District (2008)|
|John Jay Lee (D)||25,937||67.71%|
|Nevada State Senate, Clark 1 District (2004)|
|John Jay Lee (D)||18,987||61.15%|
|Nevada State Assembly, Clark 3 District (2000)|
|John Jay Lee (D)||5,663||67.02%|
In 2008, Lee collected $185,354 in donations.
His five largest contributors in 2008 were:
|Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 525||$7,000|
|Committee to Elect Tom Collins||$6,000|
|Clark County Education Association||$5,000|
Nevada Policy Research Institute
The Nevada Policy Research Institute, a Nevada-based conservative-libertarian think tank, releases a "Legislative Report Card" evaluating members of the Nevada State Legislature on "each lawmaker's voting record on legislation impacting the degree of economic freedom and education reform." Bills determined by the Institute to be of greater significance are weighted accordingly. According to the Institute, "a legislator with a score above 50 is considered to be an ally of economic liberty".
Lee and his wife, Marilyn, have seven children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Jay + Lee + Nevada + Senate" John Jay Lee News Feed
- John Jay Lee official Nevada State Senate website
- Project Vote Smart biographical profile
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1996
- Nevada Secretary of State - 2012 Primary Candidates
- Clark County - 2012 Primary Candidates
- Washoe County - 2012 Primary candidates
- Nevada Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- Times Union, "State Sen. John Lee enters Nevada 2012 House races," August 1, 2011
- Las Vegas Review Journal "Lee to challenge Horsford in Democratic primary," October 17, 2011
- Nevada Secretary of State - 2008 General Election Results
- Nevada Secretary of State - 2004 General Election Results
- Nevada Secretary of State - 2000 General Election Results
- 2008 contributions to John Lee
- Nevada Policy Research Institute, "The 2011 Nevada Legislative Session Review & Report Card"
|Nevada State Senate, Clark 1 District
| Succeeded by|
Patricia Spearman (D)