John L. Ewy
|John L. Ewy|
|Kansas House of Representatives District 117|
|January 14, 2013 - Present|
|January 8, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
Ewy's professional experience includes teaching at Dodge City Community College.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Ewy served on the following committees:
|Kansas Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Agriculture and Natural Resources Budget|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Ewy served on the following committees:
|Kansas Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Agriculture and Natural Resources|
|• Federal and State Affairs|
Ewy's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Jobs & Opportunity
- Excerpt: "John Ewy believes that we should foster a climate of economic opportunity for our businesses and families to prosper."
- Excerpt: "pending must be reformed to meet priorities efficiently and effectively, and we need to stop passing the bill to our kids and grandkids."
Energy & Agriculture
- Excerpt: "Farming, ranching, oil and gas are all pivotal to our special way of life in Western Kansas, and are a large part of the economic engines of our state. Growing these industries is critical to the future of Kansas."
Defending Our Families. Educating Our Kids.
- Excerpt: "Strong families, traditional values, and an education by involved parents and caring teachers are the keys to our children’s success – not government bureaucrats and mandates."
Elections for the office of Kansas House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 5, 2014, and a general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 2, 2014. Incumbent John Ewy defeated M.T. Liggett in the Republican primary. Ewy was unopposed in the general election.
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 117 Republican Primary, 2014|
|John Ewy Incumbent||87.6%||2,849|
Ewy won election in the 2012 election for Kansas House of Representatives District 117. He defeated Mitchell Rucker and John W. Unruh in the August 7 Republican primary and defeated Dennis McKinney (D) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 117, General Election, 2012|
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 117 Republican Primary, 2012|
|John L. Ewy||53.8%||2,386|
|John W. Unruh||15.4%||681|
Comprehensive donor information for Ewy is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Ewy raised a total of $19,726 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 24, 2013.
|John L. Ewy's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Kansas State House, District 117||$19,726|
|Grand Total Raised||$19,726|
2012Ewy won election to the Kansas House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Ewy raised a total of $19,726.
|Kansas House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John L. Ewy's campaign in 2012|
|Kansas Republican Party||$2,022|
|Powell, Larry R||$1,000|
|Kansas Chamber of Commerce & Industry||$1,000|
|Kansas Marketing Services||$500|
|Road Map PAC Inc||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$19,726|
|Source: Follow the Money|
Kansas Freedom Index
The Kansas Policy Institute, Kansas’s "first free market think tank," releases its legislator scorecard as a part of its Kansas Freedom Index for Kansas state representatives and senators once a year. The Score Card gives each legislator a score from 1%-100% based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on specific issues which the Kansas Policy Institute thought were pro-limited government policies.
John Ewy received a score of 54.0% in the 2013 index.
Ewy and his wife, Marsha, have five children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Ewy + Kansas + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Kansas House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Joint Committees
- Kansas state legislative districts
- Kansas State Legislature
- Rep. Ewy's Website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2012
- "johnewyks," Official Campaign Website (timed out)
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2014 Primary Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed September 15, 2014
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2014 General Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed April 17, 2015
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 31, 2014
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2012 General Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 31, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Ewy, John L.," accessed June 24, 2013
- Kansas Policy Institute, "Freedom Index," accessed March 31, 2014
- Ballotpedia, "2013 Kansas Policy Index," accessed March 10, 2015
Larry Powell (R)
|Kansas House of Representatives District 117
| Succeeded by|
State of Kansas
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Wildlife and Parks | Secretary of Labor | Corporation Commission |