|South Carolina State Senate District 36|
|Minority Leader, South Carolina State Senate|
|Elections and appointments|
|South Carolina House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||University of South Carolina, 1965|
|J.D.||University of South Carolina Law School, 1968|
|Date of birth||January 25, 1941|
|Place of birth||Manning, SC|
Land has been a self-employed attorney since 1968.
Land earned his Vocational Degree in Forestry from the University of Florida in 1960. He went on to receive his B.A. in Business Administration from the University of South Carolina in 1965. He then earned his J.D. from the University of South Carolina Law School in 1968.
Land is a member of the South Carolina Democratic Party. He is also the Secretary of Clarendon County Democratic Party. He served in the South Carolina State House from 1975 to 1976. He joined the South Carolina State Senate in 1976. From 1993 to 2000 he was the Senate Majority Leader. He became the Minority Leader in 2000 and has served in that position until his retirement in 2012.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Land served on the following committees:
- Ethics Committee, South Carolina State Senate
- Finance Committee, South Carolina State Senate
- Fish, Game and Forestry Committee, South Carolina State Senate
- Interstate Cooperation Committee, South Carolina State Senate
- Rules Committee, South Carolina State Senate
- Transportation Committee, South Carolina State Senate
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Land served on the following committees:
- Ethics Committee, South Carolina Senate
- Finance Committee, South Carolina Senate
- Fish, Game and Forestry Committee, South Carolina Senate
- Interstate Cooperation Committee, South Carolina Senate
- Rules Committee, South Carolina Senate
- Transportation Committee, South Carolina Senate
He raised $46,229 for his campaign.
|South Carolina State Senate, District 36|
|John C. Land, III (D)||31,083|
Land raised $46,229 in the 2008 election cycle.
His top contributor is listed below, and 22 donors gave $1,000 each, the next highest contribution amount his campaign received.
The Palmetto Liberty PAC Scorecard
The Palmetto Liberty Political Action Committee, a conservative pro-limited government think tank in South Carolina, releases its Scorecard for South Carolina Representatives and Senators once a year. The Scorecard gives each a legislator a score based on how they voted in the two-year legislative term prior to the election on specific issues which the Palametto Liberty PAC thought were anti-limited government. "Most of the votes shown on the score card are votes that we lost. Now we can identify the Legislators that caused us to lose these votes. These Legislators are the ones who need to be replaced if we are to achieve the vision of having the most free state in the nation."
John Land received a score of 6% in the 2012 score card, ranking 31st out of all 46 South Carolina Senate members. His score was followed by Senators Hugh Leatherman (6%), Phil Leventis (6%), and Joel Lourie (6%).
Land and his wife Maria have three children.
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1996
- South Carolina official election results for 2008
- Follow the Money's report on Land's 2008 campaign contributions
- Campaign contributors to John Land
- The Palmetto Liberty Political Action Committee, "Voting Records," accessed April 11, 2014
- Palmetto Liberty Political Action Committee, "South Carolina Senate Score Card 2012," accessed May 15, 2014
- Palmetto Liberty Political Action Committee: South Carolina Senate Score Card 2012, 2012
|South Carolina State Senate - District 36
| Succeeded by|
Kevin L. Johnson (D)