|U.S. Senate, Vermont|
|Profession||Small Business Owner|
According to MacGovern's website, his campaign themes included:
- Budget: "...we can't spend our way to prosperity; and we certainly can't do it by making our families shoulder the burden of Washington's reckless spending."
- Social Security: "The solution to this massive and crippling problem will require serious and courageous reforms of Social Security, and other entitlement programs."
MacGovern ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. Senate, representing Vermont. He defeated Brooke Paige in the Republican primary on August 28, 2012. He faced incumbent Bernie Sanders (I), Cris Ericson (United States Marijuana Party), Laurel LaFramboise (VoteKISS), Pete Diamondstone (Liberty Union) and Peter Moss (Peace and Prosperity) in the general election on November 6, 2012.  Sanders won.
|U.S. Senate, Vermont, General Election, 2012|
|Independent||Bernie Sanders Incumbent||71.1%||207,848|
|Source: Vermont Board of Elections "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
- See also: Vermont State Senate elections, 2010
MacGovern ran for the Windsor District Seat in 2010. He ran against Henry Holmes and Francis Renaud in the Republican primary on August 24, 2010. He faced John Campbell (R), Henry Holmes (R), Francis Renaud (R), Richard McCormack (D) and Alice Nitka (D) in the general election on November 2, 2010.
Candidates for Congress were required to file up to seven main reports with the Federal Election Commission during the 2012 elections season. Below are MacGovern's reports.
|John MacGovern Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 13, 2012||$0.00||$12,882.28||$(21.00)||$12,667.28|
|July Quarterly||July 18, 2012||$12,667.28||$11,220.00||$(20,152.27)||$3,735.01|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term John + MacGovern + Vermont + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Backlash after Obama shakes hands with 'murderer' Raul Castro - Daily Mail
- Obama shakes hands with Raul Castro at Mandela's memorial - Daily Mail
- Alexandria and Arlington home sales - Washington Post
- Iran's moment to re-emerge to the international stage - Baltimore Post-Examiner
- JFK's poetry legislated with LBJ's prose made a better world - Baltimore Post-Examiner
- John Nichols: Rep. Trey Radel won't be joining the half a million Americans ... - Capital Times
- CNN "Vermont Senate Race - 2012 Election Center"
- John MacGovern for Senate, "On the Issues," Accessed September 12, 2012
- Official primary candidate list
- Associated Press primary results
- Federal Election Commission "Candidate (S2VT00136) Summary Reports - 2011-2012 Cycle," Accessed July 13, 2012
- Federal Election Commission "MacGovern for US Senate April Quarterly," Accessed July 13, 2012
- Federal Election Commission "MacGovern for US Senate July Quarterly," Accessed September 12, 2012