|4th Circuit Court, Michigan|
|Past position:||Prosecuting attorney, Jackson County|
|Undergraduate:||Michigan State University, 1982|
|Law School:||Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 1987|
|Candidate for:||4th Circuit Court|
|Election information 2014:|
- 1 Elections
- 2 Education
- 3 Career
- 4 Notable cases
- 5 See also
- 6 External links
- 7 References
John McBain is a judge for the 4th Circuit Court in Jackson County, Michigan. He was elected to the court in November 2002 and assumed office in January 2003. McBain was then re-elected in 2008 for a six-year term expiring on January 1, 2015. He served as the chief judge of the court from January 1, 2010, to December 31, 2011. McBain was most recently re-elected unopposed on November 4, 2014, for another six-year term commencing on January 1, 2015, and expiring on December 31, 2020.
- See also: Michigan judicial elections, 2014
| McBain ran for re-election to the 4th Circuit Court.
General: He was unopposed in the general election on November 4, 2014.
- 2003-2020: Judge, 4th Circuit Court
- 1996-2002: Prosecuting attorney, Jackson County
- 1994-1996: Attorney in private practice
- 1993-1994: Chief assistant prosecutor, Jackson County
- 1988-1993: Assistant state attorney, Florida 
2012 leave of absence
Beginning September 2012, McBain took a three month paid leave of absence for medical and personal reasons. Retired Judge Edward Grant was appointed to serve in his absence. McBain returned to the court on December 17th, stating: "I came back as quickly as I could, as my health would allow."
Judge rejects father's no-contest plea in baby assault case
Due to the gruesome nature of the case, Judge McBain did not accept a no-contest plea from a man accused of beating and sexually assaulting his then three-month-old daughter. As a result of her massive injuries, his daughter was placed on life support at the University of Michigan Hospital. "He is either going to trial on Monday or he is going to plead guilty," McBain said of Kirk Coleman. According to Michigan Live, "McBain refused to drop first-degree criminal sexual conduct for attempted criminal sexual conduct," and the judge asked: "How am I going to establish he knowingly and intentionally attempted criminal sexual conduct?"
Judge gives sentence to look at photo of woman killed
In May 2008, Judge McBain sentenced David Smith, convicted of killing a woman while driving drunk, to ten to twenty-two years in prison. In addition, he ruled that a picture of the victim be hung in Smith's jail cell.
Judge to convicted murderer: "I hope you die in prison"
On April 16, 2014, Camia Gamet was sentenced to life in prison without parole for the murder of her boyfriend, Marcell Hill. Hill's body sustained twelve stab wounds and blunt force trauma to the head. While Hill's family expressed their grief in court, Gamet laughed and rolled her eyes. Judge McBain then threatened to duct tape her mouth shut. As he handed down his sentence, Judge McBain stated: "I agree with the family, I hope you die in prison as well and if this was a death penalty state you'd be getting the chair."
- Jackson County Government, "Hon. John G. McBain Biography," a
- Michigan Trial Courts Directory, "Jackson County"
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2008 Election Results: 4th Circuit Court Incumbents," accessed December 5, 2014
- Jackson County Government, "Hon. John G. McBain Biography," accessed December 5, 2014
- MLive.com, "John McBain to become chief judge of Jackson County Circuit Court," November 6, 2009
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," accessed July 9, 2014
- MLive.com, "Retired Circuit Judge Edward Grant returns to bench while Judge John McBain takes leave of absence," October 3, 2012
- MLive, "Circuit Judge John McBain still on leave; retired Judge Edward Grant to take his place at least through November," October 29, 2012
- MLive, "Jackson County Circuit Judge John McBain back on bench after about three-month absence," December 19, 2012
- MLive, "Judge rejects father's no-contest plea in baby assault case," May 29, 2008
- MLive.com, "Man told to hang victim's picture in cell," May 30, 2008
- WLNS.com, "Judge Threatens To Duct Tape Convicted Murderer's Mouth," April 16, 2014