|Ohio House of Representatives District 99|
|January 1, 2013 - present|
|December 31, 2016|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Ph.D.||Kent State University|
|Date of birth||July 7th 1956|
Patterson earned his bachelor's degree from Marietta College, his master's degree in Political Science from Ohio University and his Ph.D. in Education from Kent State University. He taught history at Jefferson Area High School for 29 years prior to his retirement in June 2012.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Patterson served on the following committees:
|Ohio Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Agriculture and Rural Development|
In the 2013-2014 legislative session, Patterson served on the following committees:
|Ohio Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Agriculture and Natural Resources|
|• Manufacturing and Workforce Development|
Patterson's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "Our 99th district is blessed with natural resources: water, oil and gas reserves, and agricultural land. We must carefully balance conservation and preservation of resources with thoughtful and futuristic development of those resources."
- Excerpt: "Our policymakers must understand the significance of public education. They must also understand the cost of public education. And they must also understand the dire necessity of addressing this issue immediately."
- Excerpt: "Certainly, our society encourages venture capitalism and innovation (which have resulted in prosperity), but we must pursue this course in balance with responsible environmental stewardship and consumer protectionism."
- Excerpt: "The Ohio legislature must restore funding to counties, townships, municipalities, and schools."
A New Vision
- Excerpt: "At one time, our 99th district was once a prosperous place to work, call home, and raise a family. We were confident in our future. This belief was evident in the numerous stores, businesses, and factories in Ashtabula and Geneva. It was evident from the busy docks of Conneaut to the many properous farms in Geauga County. It was readily apparent in the can-do spirit we once possessed."
Elections for the office of Ohio House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on May 6, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 5, 2014. Incumbent John Patterson was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Nancy McArthur was unopposed in the Republican primary. Patterson defeated McArthur in the general election.
|Ohio House of Representatives, District 99 General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||John Patterson Incumbent||57.9%||17,452|
Patterson won election in the 2012 election for Ohio House, District 99. Patterson was unopposed in the March 6 Democratic primary election and defeated incumbent Casey Kozlowski (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Ohio House of Representatives, District 99, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Casey Kozlowski Incumbent||47%||22,395|
Comprehensive donor information for Patterson is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Patterson raised a total of $354,292 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 5, 2013.
|John Patterson's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Ohio State House, District 99||$354,292|
|Grand Total Raised||$354,292|
2012Patterson won election to the Ohio State House in 2012. During that election cycle, Patterson raised a total of $354,292.
|Ohio State House 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Patterson's campaign in 2012|
|Ohio Democratic Party||$196,076|
|House Democratic Caucus Fund of Ohio||$31,906|
|Ohio Education Association||$21,466|
|Contributions of $25 or Less||$12,847|
|Ohio State Association of Plumbers & Pipefitters||$11,395|
|Total Raised in 2012||$354,292|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- The American Conservative Union: 2013 Legislative scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key conservative issues.
- Innovation Ohio: 130th General Assembly - Women's Issues Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on women’s issues.
Patterson and his wife, Nancy, have two children. They currently reside in Jefferson, Ohio.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Patterson + Ohio + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Ohio House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Ohio General Assembly
- Joint Committees
- Ohio state legislative districts
- Official campaign website
- Profile from the Ohio House of Representatives
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Follow the Money
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- pattersonforohio.com, "Issues," accessed August 27, 2014
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Official primary election results for May 6, 2014," accessed July 3, 2014
- Ohio Chamber of Commerce, "2012 General Assembly Primary Candidates," January 17, 2012
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2012 Republican Primary Results," accessed June 12, 2014
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2012 Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 12, 2014
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Ohio official results for 2012 General Election," accessed June 10, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Patterson, John," accessed June 5, 2013
- Pattersonforohio.com, "Bio," accessed September 28, 2012
Casey Kozlowski (R)
|Ohio House of Representatives - District 99
| Succeeded by|
State of Ohio
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Superintendent of Industrial Compliance and Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |