|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 5A|
|2009 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||5|
|Majority Whip, Minnesota House of Representatives|
|2013 - present|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
|Bachelor's||Bemidji State University|
|Service/branch||U.S. Air Force|
|Profession||Environmental Policy Analyst|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Scorecards
- 7 Personal
- 8 Recent news
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Persell's professional experience includes working as an Environmental Policy Analyst for Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe and as a water quality specialist. He served in the United States Air Force.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Persell served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Environment and Natural Resources Policy|
|• Jobs and Economic Development Finance and Policy, Vice-chair|
|• Rules and Legislative Administration|
|• State Government Finance and Veterans Affairs|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Persell served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Agriculture and Rural Development|
|• Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Policy and Finance|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Persell served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Environment Policy and Oversight|
Persell's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Grow Good Jobs With A Clean Environment
- Excerpt: "Our economic future requires a clean and healthy environment. Minnesota must practice sustainable resource management, support green industries and the jobs they generate."
Make Education A Priority
- Excerpt: "Our economy depends on an educated workforce. I will champion Minnesota’s education system, including adequate funding for all education levels—early childhood, K-12, and higher education."
Fight For A Fair Tax System
- Excerpt: "Working families want a tax system that is fair. We need to reduce taxes on homeowners and require the wealthiest Minnesotans to pay their fair share. "
Close The Healthcare Gap
- Excerpt: "I will fight for affordable health care for working Minnesotans and their employers. We must fix the system that is hurting families, hampering businesses and crippling our economy."
Elections for the office of Minnesota House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 12, 2014, and a general election took place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 3, 2014. Incumbent John Persell defeated Lavern Pederson in the Democratic primary. Phillip Nelson was unopposed in the Republican primary. Persell defeated Nelson in the general election.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 5A General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||John Persell Incumbent||55.2%||7,871|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 5A Democratic Primary, 2014|
|John Persell Incumbent||84.6%||1,544|
Persell won re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 5A. He was unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 7 and defeated incumbent Larry Howes (R) in the general election on November 6.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 5A, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||John Persell Incumbent||56.2%||10,901|
|Republican||Larry Howes Incumbent||43.8%||8,497|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 4A (2010)|
|John Persell (DFL)||7,744||52.89%|
|Richard Lehmann (R)||6,808||46.49%|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 4A (2008)|
|John Persell (DFL)||10,259||52.06%|
|John Carlson (R)||8,666||43.89%|
|Sharatin Blake (I)||758||3.85%|
Comprehensive donor information for Persell is available dating back to 2008. Based on available campaign finance records, Persell raised a total of $85,071 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 29, 2013.
|John Persell's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Minnesota State House, District 5A||$27,126|
|2010||Minnesota State House, District 4A||$25,875|
|2008||Minnesota State House, District 4A||$32,070|
|Grand Total Raised||$85,071|
2012Persell won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Persell raised a total of $27,126.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Persell's campaign in 2012|
|Beltrami County DFL||$1,150|
|Cass County DFL||$900|
|5A House District DFL New||$850|
|Total Raised in 2012||$27,126|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Persell won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2010. During that election cycle, Persell raised a total of $25,875.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Persell's campaign in 2010|
|Cass County DFL||$1,500|
|Beltrami County DFL||$1,200|
|8th Congressional District Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$1,200|
|3rd Senate District Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$25,875|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2008Persell won election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2008. During that election cycle, Persell raised a total of $32,070.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2008 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Persell's campaign in 2008|
|Beltrami County Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$3,000|
|Hansen, William J.||$500|
|Leech Lake PAC||$500|
|Inter Faculty Organization||$500|
|Total Raised in 2008||$32,070|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from February 25 through May 19.
- Liberty Minnesota: 2014
- Legislators are scored on bills of interest to an organization advocating "limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty."
- NARAL Pro-Choice Minnesota: 2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on pro-choice issues.
In 2013, the Legislature was in session from January 8 to May 20.
- Americans for Prosperity Minnesota: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored "on key votes on issues concerning economic freedom, which includes taxes, budgets and spending, health care and more."
- Minnesota Family Council: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on votes of interest to a socially conservative "pro-family" organization.
- Minnesota Majority: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on "a wide range of issues including taxes, government spending, elections, childcare unionization, property rights and energy policy" per "the traditional values position."
- Taxpayers League of Minnesota: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on votes of interest to an economically conservative organization.
- NARAL Pro-Choice Minnesota: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on votes regarding reproductive issues.
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
Persell is married and with three children. He has served on the Frohn Township Board of Supervisors, and has been a member of the American Legion Honor Guard, mentor with the Leech Lake Tribal College Science, Technology, Engineering, Math Program, and a guide for Take a Kid Fishing.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term John + Persell + Minnesota + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2008
- John Persell on Facebook
- The Bemidji Pioneer, "Persell name House Majority Whip," December 21, 2012. Accessed November 23, 2013
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Persell
- "johnpersell," Official Campaign Website
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "State Canvassing Board Report," August 19, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2014 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed July 25, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2014 Election Results," accessed November 4, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed June 18, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Minnesota State Canvassing Report - State Primary - Tuesday, August 14, 2012," accessed April 23, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Report of Votes Cast - Minnesota State Primary - Tuesday, August 10, 2010," accessed November 29, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "State of Minnesota Canvassing Report," accessed November 29, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State - Minnesota Secretary of State, "All Races by Legislative District," accessed April 23, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Persell, John." Retrieved June 29, 2013
- Liberty Minnesota, "About Us," accessed July 25, 2014
- Americans for Prosperity, "2013 Legislative Scorecard," accessed July 26, 2014
- Minnesota Family Council, "2013 Minnesota Family Council Legislative Scorecard," accessed July 26, 2014
- Minnesota Majority, "Scorecards," accessed July 26, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2012," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2011," accessed May 15, 2014
Tom Rukavina (DFL)
|Minnesota State House District 5A
| Succeeded by|
|Minnesota State House District 4A
| Succeeded by|
Ben Lien (DFL)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |