John F. Robitaille
|John F. Robitaille|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Governor of Rhode Island|
|High school||North Attleboro High School (1966)|
|Bachelor's||Providence College (1970)|
|Master's||University of Utah (1976)|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force, Captain|
|Years of service||1970-1976|
|Profession||Owner/President, Perspective Communications Group|
Robitaille earned his M.S. in Human Resource Management from the University of Utah and B.S. in Business Administration from Providence College.
While attending Providence College, Robitaille belonged to ROTC, Precision Drill, the Pershing Rifles, and the Dilon Team. After college, Robitaille spent six years with the United States Air Force, as a paratrooper in Germany and later at Headquarters Special Forces Command at Ft. Bragg. He earned the rank of Captain by the time he separated in 1976.
For the final two years of his military service, Robitaille was studying human resources management at the University of Utah, earning his masters degree in 1976.
Upon graduation, he spent five years with Frito Lay as employees relations manager, From 1981 through 1986, he worked in labor relations for Continental Can Corporation. He then briefly joined Total Communications in public relations.
By the spring in 1987, Robitaille had decided to start his own business. For the next decade, he worked out of Middletown, Rhode Island, as President and CEO of Perspective Communications Group. In 2006, his first campaign, for the state House, fell four votes short in victory. In 2008, he left his company to work for Donald L. Carcieri, the state's Republican governor. At the end of 2009, he announced his own gubernatorial candidacy, for which he resigned his senior advisory post to campaign full time.
Robitaille is affiliated with a number of organizations, including:
- Member of the Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Member of the Providence College President’s Council and Executive Mentoring Program
- Member of the Board of Trustees of Bradley Hospital
- Member of the Board of Governors of Newport Hospital
- 2003 Partner in Philanthropy Award Winner
- Friends of the Samaritans of Rhode Island
- Member of the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention
- Steering Committee for Newport Under the Stars Fundraiser for Joslin Diabetes Center
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Mental Health Association of RI
- Member of the Board of Directors of the RI Association to Prevent Child Abuse
- University of Utah, M.S., 1976
- Providence College, B.S., 1970
- North Attleboro High School, 1966
|Governor of Rhode Island, 2010|
|Democratic||Frank T. Caprio||23%||78,896|
|Republican||John F. Robitaille||33.6%||114,911|
|Independent||Joseph M. Lusi||0.3%||1,091|
Robitaille ran unsuccessfully for election to the Rhode Island House of Representatives in 2006.
Robitaille and his wife, Lynda, live in Portsmouth. They have three children and five grandchildren.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Robitaille + Rhode + Island + Governor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Political Scene: House Republicans' goal: Boost R.I.'s ranking - The Providence Journal
- GOP comm. director joins Block campaign - WLNE-TV (ABC6)
- Dee from the Desk: Top ten political moments of 2013 - WLNE-TV (ABC6)
- Governor of Rhode Island
- Rhode Island gubernatorial election, 2010
- Current Gov. Lincoln Chafee
- Former Gov. Don Carcieri
- Project Vote Smart biography
- John F. Robitaille on Twitter
- John F. Robitaille on YouTube
- John F. Robitaille on Flickr
- Robitailleforgovernor.com 2010 Campaign website
The Internet Archive's Wayback Machine was used to recall this version of the website from November 4, 2010.
- John F. Robitaille for Governor campaign website
- WPRI, "Republican Robitaille eyeing 2014 governor's race," August 5, 2013
- Boston.com, "Robitaille says no plans to run for RI governor," October 18, 2013
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography of John Robitaille," Accessed February 4, 2013
- AP election guide - Hosted by NPR, "Rhode Island State Profile," accessed February 4, 2013