John L. Sampson
|John L. Sampson|
|New York Senate District 19|
|1997 - present|
|January 1, 2015|
|Years in position||17|
|Per diem||$171/full day; $61/half day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 5, 1996|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|J.D.||Albany Law School|
|Birthday||June 17, 1965|
Sampson earned his B.A. in Political Science from Brooklyn College in 1987 and his J.D. from Albany Law School in 1991. His professional experience includes working as an attorney for Alter and Barbaro, Esquires, since 1993, as a litigation assistant for Proskauer Rose Goetz & Mendelsohn from 1987 to 1988, working for the Department of Environmental Conservation from 1988 to 1991 and as a staff attorney for the Legal Aid Society of New York from 1991 to 1993.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Sampson served on the following committees:
|New York Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Alcoholism and Drug Abuse|
|• Veterans, Homeland Security and Military Affairs|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Sampson served on this committee:
|New York Committee Assignments, 2011|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Sampson served on these committees:
|New York Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Crime Victims, Crime and Correction|
|• Veterans, Homeland Security and Military Affairs|
- See also: New York State Senate elections, 2012
Sampson ran in the 2012 election for New York State Senate District 19. He ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on September 13, 2012. He also ran on the Working Families Party ticket. Sampson defeated Jane Neal (R) and Elias J. Weir (C) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|New York State Senate, District 19, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||John L. Sampson Incumbent||90.4%||78,974|
|Conservative||Elias J. Weir||1.4%||1,196|
- See also: New York State Senate elections, 2010
|New York State Senate, General Election Results, District 19 (2010)|
|John L. Sampson (D)||43,450|
|Rose Laney (R)||3,071|
On November 4, 2008, John L. Sampson won the election for New York State Senate, District 19 with 69,811 votes.
Sampson raised $198,435 for his campaign.
|New York State Senate, District 19 (2008)|
|John L. Sampson (D)||69,811|
|Godfrey Jelks (R)||3,577|
Comprehensive donor information for John Sampson is available dating back to 1998. Based on available campaign finance records, John Sampson raised a total of $3,704,379 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 20, 2013.
|John Sampson's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||New York State Senate, District 19||$521,700|
|2010||New York State Senate, District 19||$2,555,145|
|2008||New York State Senate, District 19||$198,435|
|2006||New York State Senate, District 19||$47,925|
|2004||New York State Senate, District 19||$106,715|
|2002||New York State Senate, District 19||$122,270|
|2000||New York State Senate, District 19||$88,515|
|1998||New York State Senate, District 19||$63,674|
|Grand Total Raised||$3,704,379|
2012John Sampson won re-election to the New York State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, John Sampson raised a total of $521,700.
|New York State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John L. Sampson's campaign in 2012|
|New York State Trial Lawyers||$10,300|
|Rich, David C||$10,300|
|Health Care Association of New York State||$10,300|
|Vip Certified Health Services||$10,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$521,700|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Listed below are the largest contributors to Sampson's 2010 campaign.
|New York State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John L. Sampson's campaign in 2010|
|Schneiderman For Attorney General||$55,900|
|Medical Society Of The State Of New York||$14,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$2,555,145|
Listed below are the five largest contributors to John L. Sampson's 2008 campaign.
|1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East||$11,900|
|New York State Trial Lawyers||$5,400|
|Gregory Messer PLLC||$5,000|
|Cosimo & Nancy Tristani||$5,000|
In 2012, Sampson’s endorsements included the following:
Sampson and his wife, Crystal, have one child.
Sampson was arrested on May 6, 2013 and charged with two counts of embezzlement, five counts of obstruction of justice and two counts of making false statements. The charges stem from an investigation over the sale of foreclosed, where Sampson is alleged to have stolen over $400,000 while acting as a court-appointed referee. Sampson plead not guilty to the embezzlement charges on May 7 and had bail set at $250,000.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Sampson + New York + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- New York State assemblyman found guilty in bribery case - Reuters
- Assemblyman Stevenson Found Guilty on Corruption Charges - Politicker
- Albany Pro: Christie's New York spillover - Capital New York
- Sampson aide charged in fraud - New York Post
- New York Today: Political Lowlights - New York Times (blog)
- De Blasio's top lawyer works for Cablevision, Sampson - Capital New York
- Fredric U. Dicker - New York Post
- De Blasio counsel cuts ties with Sampson, Cablevision - Capital New York
- New York's Troubled Lawmakers: With Gabryszak, the list grows to 33 - Politics on the Hudson (blog)
- Scandals, SAFE Act backlash greet Cuomo in 2014 session - Troy Record
- Official New York State Senate website
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998
- State of New York, State Board of Elections, Candidate Petition List, retrieved August 15, 2012.
- ABC News, "New York unofficial 2012 primary election results," accessed September 13, 2012
- New York Times, "NY state legislative election results," accessed February 11, 2014
- 2008 Follow the Money's report on John's 2008 campaign contributions
- followthemoney.org, "Sampson, John" Accessed September 20, 2013
- Follow the Money "Sampson's 2010 Campaign contributions
- New York Daily News, "32BJ/SEIU Endorses For State Senate, Assembly," August 1, 2012
- bloomberg.com, "NY State Senator Latest Lawmaker Charged With Corruption," May 6, 2013
|New York State Senate District 19
| Succeeded by|