|Arkansas Commissioner of State Lands|
|January 11, 2011-Present|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Term limits||Two lifetime terms|
|High school||Sheridan High School|
|Bachelor's||Henderson State University/Agape College|
|Place of birth||Little Rock, Arkansas|
|Profession||Certified Religious Assistant, Arkansas state prison system|
Before seeking elected office, Thurston worked as a Certified Religious Assistant in the Arkansas state prison system, as well as on the staff of Agape Church, West Little Rock, Alabama for 13 years.
Born in Little Rock, Arkansas, Thurston graduated from Sheridan High School in 1991 and attended Henderson State University. He did not earn a bachelor's degree from that institution, but he later received his diploma in biblical studies from Agape College.
Thurston was the first Republican to be elected Arkansas Commissioner of State Lands since the position was made an elected one in 1874. He was also elected vice president of the Western States Land Commissioners Association in 2013.
- Sheridan High School (1991)
- attended Henderson State University
- Diploma in Biblical Studies from Agape College
Arkansas Commissioner of State Lands (2011-Present)
Thurston ran for re-election in 2014. The general election took place November 4, 2014.
|Arkansas Commissioner of State Lands, 2014|
|Republican||John Thurston Incumbent||57.2%||471,848|
|Libertarian||Elvis D. Presley||6.2%||51,518|
|Election Results via Arkansas Secretary of State.|
Comprehensive donor information for Thurston is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Thurston raised a total of $28,677 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 13, 2013.
|John Thurston's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Arkansas Commissioner of State Lands||$0|
|2010||Arkansas Commissioner of State Lands||$28,677|
|Grand Total Raised||$28,677|
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of Thurston's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|Thurston's Campaign Contributions|
Arkansas Commissioner of State Lands
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$356,844|
|Top 5 contributors||Arkansas Republican Party||$2,000|
|Arkansas Realtors Association||$2,000|
|A. John Kelley||$1,100|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Thurston + Arkansas + Lands + Commissioner"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Arkansas Commissioner of State Lands official website
- Votethurston.com 2010 Campaign website
The Internet Archive's Wayback Machine was used to recall this version of the website from October 9, 2010.
- Talk Business Arkansas, "Republicans Prepare For State Constitutional Office Runs," February 13, 2013
- Arkansas Commissioner of State Lands, "John Thurston, Commissioner of State Lands," accessed August 13, 2013 (dead link)
- News from the 4th Section, "Summer 2011, Volume 1, Issue 1," accessed August 13, 2013
- Fox 16, "Ark. candidates already preparing for 2014 races," accessed August 13, 2013
- Arkansas Secretary of State, "Statewide Results by Contest, Commissioner of State Lands - Certified," accessed August 13, 2013
- Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for John Thurston," accessed August 13, 2013
- Follow the Money.org
|Arkansas Commissioner of State Lands
| Succeeded by|
State of Arkansas
Little Rock (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Executive Director of Natural Resources Commission | Commissioner of State Lands| Director of Labor | Public Service Commission|