José Castañeda recall, Salinas, California (2014)
An effort to recall José Castañeda from his position as city council member in Salinas, California was spearheaded in the latter half of 2013. He was served with recall papers for the third time on January 25, 2014. Previous attempts to recall Castañeda all fell short.
The recall effort against Castañeda is led by Juan Sandoval, who opposed Castañeda holding elected seats on both the Salinas city council and on the Alisal Union School District Board. Castañeda was elected to the city council as District 1 representative in 2012, and was in a legal battle with the city over his dual positions. The city believed there was a conflict of interest. Castañeda had refused to resign from school board, but did not file for re-election. His school board term finished in November 2013.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in California
On August 21, 2013 City Clerk Patricia Barajas approved the recall petition against Castañeda. Recall supporters had 90 days to gather 1,449 signatures from registered voters in Castañeda district. In early January 2014, city clerk Patty Barajas announced that 1,326 of the submitted signatures were found to be valid, short of the required 1,449. Sandoval said, "Of course I wanted this effort to qualify, but we're not giving up. We will restart the effort soon. My hope now is to get qualified in time for the June ballot."
On June 20, 2013, Sandoval started the recall process by handing Castañeda a notice of intention to recall.. Sandoval then filed a petition with the Salinas city clerk. However, Sandoval failed to fulfill some legal requirement to continue with the recall effort and had to start again in late July.
On January 25, 2014, Sandoval again served Castañeda with recall papers, thereby restarting the process. As of early mid-February 2014, Sandoval was in the process of filing necessary petition paperwork, such as "proof of publication" papers.
- Recall campaigns in California
- Political recall efforts, 2013
- City council recalls
- Joe Gunter recall, Salinas, California (2013)
- KSBW.com, "Jose Castaneda served with recall papers in Salinas," June 21, 2013
- Monterey County Weekly, "Recall Petition Against Castañeda Approved; Potential for Two Recall Elections Next Year," August 21, 2013
- The Californian, "Castañeda faces third recall try," January 27, 2014
- The Californian, "Castañeda recall bid falls short," January 7, 2014
- KSBW.com, "Thursday, Friday are double D-Day for Castaneda," August 7, 2013
- The Herald, "Jose Castañeda won't run for re-election on Alisal school board," August 9, 2013
- Salinas Californian, "Mayoral recall paperwork rejected again," April 26, 2013
- TheCalifornian.com, "New Castañeda recall effort launched," July 25, 2013
- KSBW.com, "Alisal parent files recall against Salinas city councilman Castaneda," June 24, 2013
- TheCalifornian.com, "Jeff Mitchell: Sandoval quietly marching forward in effort to recall Castañeda," February 13, 2014