Joseph C. Mitchell
|Joseph C. Mitchell|
|Alabama House of Representatives District 103|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||Morehouse College, 1969|
|Master's||University of South Alabama, 1974|
|Ph.D.||Texas A&M University, 1983|
|Other||CASE, University of Alabama-Birmingham, 1979|
|Birthday||May 28, 1948|
|Place of birth||Mobile, AL|
|Profession||Researcher/Founder, Alabama American Research and Education Associates, Inc.|
|Religion||African Methodist Episcopal|
Mitchell's professional experience includes working as a researcher at the Alabama American Research and Education Associates Incorporated, industrial engineer, jazz musician and educator.
Mitchell served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Subcommittee on Professional Qualifications
- Subcommittee on Higher Education
- Internal Affairs Committee, Alabama House of Representatives
- Mobile County Legislation Committee, Alabama House of Representatives
On January 27, 2013, Mitchell used his official government email account to respond to a constituent who was urging lawmakers not to pass laws curtailing gun ownership. Mitchell wrote, "Your folk never used all this sheit (sic) to protect my folk from your slave-holding, murdering, adulterous, baby-raping, incestuous, snaggle-toothed, backward-a**ed, inbreed (sic), imported criminal-minded kin folk." The constituent, Eddie Maxwell, replied by saying "That’s not the type of reply I expect to receive from a state legislator. I’m not a racist and I find your reply to be especially offensive considering the position you hold."
Mitchell won re-election to the 103rd District seat in 2010. He had no opposition.
Mitchell raised $74,498 for his campaign.
In 2010, Mitchell raised $23,261 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Alabama Trial Lawyers Association||$2,500|
|Alabama State Employees Association||$2,500|
In 2006, Mitchell collected $74,498 in donations.
Below are Mitchell's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2006 election:
|AL Education Assoc||$20,000|
|Seth Hammett Campaign||$10,000|
|AL Trial Lawyers Assoc||$6,500|
|Milton E McGregor||$3,000|
Mitchell has a wife, Janetta.
Mitchell is a member of the Charity Hospitals of Louisiana, Community Education, City of Mobile, Coosa County Public School Adult Education, Fulton-Dekalb Hospital Authority, Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a Neighborhood Youth Corp Instructor.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Note: As of December 2014, we were unable to locate any scorecards for the state of Alabama. If you are aware of a scorecard Ballotpedia has not included please email it to email@example.com.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Joseph + Mitchell + Alabama + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Alabama House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- State Surge - Legislative and voting track record
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006
- Al.com, "Alabama lawmaker's email: 'Slave-holding, murdering, adulterous, baby-raping, snaggle-toothed kin folk," March 27, 2013
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed July 18, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2006 election results," accessed April 15, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Alabama House spending, 2006," November 4, 2006
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money - 2006 Campaign contributions
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Mitchell
|Alabama House District 103
| Succeeded by|
Barbara Drummond (D)
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|