Joseph C. Mitchell
|Joseph C. Mitchell|
|Alabama House of Representatives District 103|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||20|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Morehouse College, 1969|
|Master's||University of South Alabama, 1974|
|Ph.D.||Texas A&M University, 1983|
|Other||CASE, University of Alabama-Birmingham, 1979|
|Birthday||May 28, 1948|
|Place of birth||Mobile, AL|
|Profession||Researcher/Founder, Alabama American Research and Education Associates, Inc.|
|Religion||African Methodist Episcopal|
Mitchell works as a researcher at the Alabama American Research and Education Associates Incorporated, an industrial engineer and a jazz musician and educator.
Mitchell served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Subcommittee on Professional Qualifications
- Subcommittee on Higher Education
- Internal Affairs Committee, Alabama House of Representatives
- Mobile County Legislation Committee, Alabama House of Representatives
On January 27, 2013, Mitchell used his official government email account to respond to a constituent who was urging lawmakers not to pass laws curtailing gun ownership. Mitchell wrote, "Your folk never used all this sheit (sic) to protect my folk from your slave-holding, murdering, adulterous, baby-raping, incestuous, snaggle-toothed, backward-a**ed, inbreed (sic), imported criminal-minded kin folk." The constituent, Eddie Maxwell, replied by saying "That’s not the type of reply I expect to receive from a state legislator. I’m not a racist and I find your reply to be especially offensive considering the position you hold."
Mitchell won re-election to the 103rd District Seat in 2010. He had no opposition.
Mitchell raised $74,498 for his campaign.
In 2010, Mitchell raised $23,261 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Alabama Trial Lawyers Association||$2,500|
|Alabama State Employees Association||$2,500|
In 2006, Mitchell collected $74,498 in donations.
Below are Mitchell's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2006 election:
|AL Education Assoc||$20,000|
|Seth Hammett Campaign||$10,000|
|AL Trial Lawyers Assoc||$6,500|
|Milton E McGregor||$3,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Joseph + Mitchell + Alabama + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- System allows state legislators to help out their neighbors when an issue ... - Anniston Star
- Alabama editorial roundup - News & Observer
- Cajuns To Face Tulane In R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl - SportsNOLA.com
- Editorial: Proposals short, not sweet - Montgomery Advertiser
- Final goodbye: Roll call of some who died in 2013 - KTAR.com
- This Day, December 14, In Jewish History by MItchell A. Levin - Cleveland Jewish News (blog)
- Tom Drake on Bama documentary - Cullman Times Online
- Adrian Laroze Briskey Allegedly Killed Michelle Shepherd Because Auburn Beat ... - Huffington Post
- The shameful ways the GOP makes it bad to be broke in 21st-century America. - Monterey County Weekly
- Fairfax home sales - Washington Post
Mitchell has a wife, Janetta.
Mitchell is a member of the Charity Hospitals of Louisiana, Community Education, City of Mobile, Coosa County Public School Adult Education, Fulton-Dekalb Hospital Authority, Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a Neighborhood Youth Corp Instructor.
- Alabama Legislature - Joseph C. Mitchell
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- State Surge - Legislative and voting track record
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006
- Al.com "Alabama lawmaker's email: 'Slave-holding, murdering, adulterous, baby-raping, snaggle-toothed kin folk," March 27, 2013
- Statewide general election results (Archived), accessed December 13, 2013
- 2006 election results, Alabama
- Alabama House spending, 2006
- followthemoney.org, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money - 2006 Campaign contributions
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Mitchell
|Alabama House District 103
| Succeeded by|
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|