Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Illinois Director of Labor|
|March 2011 - March 2015|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||March 25, 2011|
|Appointed by||Gov. Pat Quinn (D)|
Costigan served as Chicago secretary-treasurer of Workers United, an affiliate of the Service Employees International Union. In this role, he negotiated contracts between the union and employers, led efforts to save jobs at Chicago-based Hartmarx and represented the interests of workers across the state. Costigan has also served as vice president of the Illinois State AFL-CIO, and was on the staff of former Illinois House Speaker William Redmond.
Director of Labor (2011-2015)
Costigan served as Illinois Director of Labor from 2011-2015. In this role he emphasized the need to take "high road values," stating, “At the department, we see the low road taken a lot. People who don’t pay prevailing wage, or miss-categorize independent contractors. These people don’t care. It’s a race to the bottom. That needs to stop. Values that I call high road values help both contractors and workers. We’re all in this together."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the terms "Joseph Costigan Illinois Labor."
- Some of the stories below may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of Google's news search engine.
- Illinois Department of Labor, "About Director Hugo Chaviano," accessed April 6, 2015
- WAND17.COM, "Illinois Senate confirms Rauner appointments," March 20, 2015
- Illinois Government News Network, "Governor Quinn Announces Key Appointments," March 25, 2011
- Fox Valley Labor News, "Costigan: Best defense for workers is a good offense," February 3, 2012
|Illinois Director of Labor
March 2011 - March 2015
| Succeeded by|