Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, New York, District 5|
Marthone ran in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent New York's 5th District. Marthone sought the Democratic nomination in the primary on June 24, 2014, but was defeated by Gregory Meeks.
|U.S. House, New York District 5 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Gregory Meeks Incumbent||81.5%||7,160|
|Source: 99% reporting, Results via Associated Press Vote totals above are unofficial and will be updated once official totals are made available.|
Marthone ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent New York's 5th District. He sought the nomination on the Democrat ticket and faced 6th District incumbent Gregory Meeks, Mike Scala, and Allan Jennings Jr. in the June 26 Democratic primary. He was defeated by Meeks.
Small-business owner Joseph Marthone said education is the way to solve the nation's problems.
At a forum in early June, the three challengers and a representative of Meeks discussed issues of importance. Jennings called for an end to the NYPD "stop and frisk" policy. Marthone pledged to fight hydrofracking and airplane noise pollution. Scala criticized Meeks for supporting the Budget Control Act, which took away subsidized loans for graduate students. Meeks was busy in Washington at the time of the forum, but his representative said that most of the issues brought up were city and state issues, not national ones -- indicating that the challengers were not prepared for federal politics.
|U.S. House, New York District 5 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Gregory W. Meeks Incumbent||66.2%||8,507|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Joseph + Marthone + New York + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- New York's 5th Congressional District elections, 2012
- New York's 5th Congressional District elections, 2014
- New York's 5th Congressional District
- New York Board of Elections, "Candidate Petition List," accessed April 16, 2014
- Associated Press, "New York - Summary Vote Results," accessed June 24, 2014
- AP "2012 primary results"
- New York Board of Elections, "Filings for June 26, 2012 Federal Primary," accessed June 11, 2012
- Long Island Herald, "Four seek Democratic nod in 5th Congressional District," June 20, 2012
- Queens Campaigner, "Candidates for Congress spar," June 14, 2012
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
New York Supreme Court | Trial Court | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Civil Courts | County Courts | Surrogate Courts | Family Courts | Civil Courts | Court of Statewide Claims | Town Courts | Village Courts | City Civil Court | City Criminal Court | District Court Nassau & Suffolk | City Courts (Outside New York City) | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |