Joseph R. Lefaiver
|Joseph R. Lefaiver|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Erie County Magisterial District, Pennsylvania|
|Candidate for:||Erie County Magisterial District|
|Election information 2011:|
|Primary date:||May 17, 2011|
|Election date:||November 8, 2011|
Judge refuses to perform marriages
In September 2014, Judge Lefaiver made headlines when he refused to perform a same-sex marriage, stating that it was against his beliefs. Though same-sex marriage is legal in Pennsylvania, the court stated that judges are not forced to perform marriages. As a result of this situation, Judge Lefaiver announced that he will not perform any marriages in the future.
Lefavier won both parties' primaries on May 17. He received 99.5% in the Democratic primary and 99.1% of the vote in the Republican primary. He was re-elected after running unopposed on November 8.
- See also: Pennsylvania judicial elections, 2011
- Pennsylvania Courts, "Magisterial Districts Judges"
- YourErie.com, "District Judge Refuses to Perform Marriage Ceremony," September 3, 2014
- Erie County Bureau of Election, "Unofficial Election Results"
- Public Opinion, "Incumbents challenged in Franklin County election," March 2011
- Erie County, "Unofficial 2011 Municipal Election Results"