Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Governor of Connecticut|
|High school||William Hall High School, 1974|
|Bachelor's||The University of Hartford, 1978|
|Birthday||December 9, 1956|
|Place of birth||Hartford, CT|
- William Hall High School, 1974
- The University of Hartford, 1978
- See also: Connecticut gubernatorial election, 2014
On March 28, 2014, current Democratic incumbent Gov. Dan Malloy formally announced his bid for re-election to a second term. He is re-teaming with 2010 running mate and current Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman for the 2014 race. Early on, Malloy was flagged as one of the most vulnerable incumbents of the 2014 gubernatorial election cycle. As the campaign season has progressed, the Daily Kos has reaffirmed Malloy's tenuous position, labeling the race a toss-up. The rating was assigned in consideration of a series of polls showing Malloy behind or rivaling Republican nominee Tom Foley in potential general election match-ups. The Cook Political Report, meanwhile, has consistently rated Connecticut as "Lean D," meaning the race is competitive but the Democrats have an advantage.
Malloy won the governorship in November 2010 following a hard-fought general election campaign against Republican Tom Foley, a wealthy Republican businessman and former U.S. ambassador to Ireland under former President George W. Bush. The contest ended over a week after the general election took place. There were several reversed calls on the outcome of the race before Malloy finally emerged as the victor. At the May 2014 State Republican Convention, delegates endorsed Foley for the second gubernatorial cycle in a row, bringing him one step closer to a 2014 re-match against Malloy. Although Foley was the resounding favorite at the convention, fellow GOP hopeful and current state Sen. majority leader John McKinney managed to garner enough delegate support to remain eligible for the nomination, preventing Foley from running unopposed in the August 12 primary.
Two Independent candidates, Jonathan Pelto and Joe Visconti, will appear on the general election ballot alongside Malloy and Foley, barring any unforeseen problems with the filing petitions they submitted to the secretary of state. Both were required to collect 7,500 signatures by August 6 to qualify for the race. A former Democratic state lawmaker and career political operative, Pelto backed Malloy's 2010 gubernatorial campaign before publicly turning against him for his policies on education and taxes, among other issues, during Malloy's first term in office. Pelto's Independent run gained media attention in August when his candidate petition was signed by Ralph Nader, the perennial third party presidential candidate perhaps best known for his indirect role in spoiling Al Gore's chances at the presidency in 2000 by siphoning crucial liberal votes. Nader's sudden presence in the Connecticut Gubernatorial race evoked a sense of deja-vu for Malloy and Democratic strategists, who immediately accused Pelto of running in order to manipulate the election's outcome, not to win it.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Joseph + Visconti + Connecticut + Governor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Connecticut Mirror, Foley keeps GOP off balance with unexpected 'exploratory' announcement, September 10, 2013
- E-mail communication with Ballotpedia, E-mail to Kristen Mathews, January 24, 2014
- Visconti for Governor, About, accessed January 24, 2014
- Connecticut News Junkie, "Malloy Makes Re-election Bid Official," March 28, 2014
- Governing Politics, "2013-2014 Governor's Races: Who's Vulnerable?," December 11, 2012
- The Daily Kos, "Daily Kos Elections gubernatorial race ratings (2013-14)," accessed August 11, 2014
- Only in Bridgeport, "Latest Polls Show Challenging Reelection For Malloy," July 28, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 Governors Race Ratings," July 30, 2014
- The Hour, "Secretary of the State: Malloy is governor-elect," November 3, 2010
- The Wilton Daily Voice, "Wilton Republicans Head To Polls Tuesday To Pick Gubernatorial Candidate," August 11, 2014
- The Hartford Courant, "Nader Signed Pelto's Petition To Get On Ballot," August 6, 2014
State of Connecticut
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of the State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Protection | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Utility Control |