|Oklahoma State Senate District 6|
|November 18, 2014|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||12 years total in state legislative chambers|
|Bachelor's||Oklahoma State University, 2002|
|Birthday||June 19, 1979|
|Place of birth||Ada, OK|
Breecheen earned a B.S. in Agricultural Communications and Animal Science from Oklahoma State University. His professional experience includes owning a quarter horse breeding operation, serving as a field representative for U.S. Senator Tom Coburn, and owning a motivational speaking business, Breechen Keynotes and Seminars.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Brecheen served on the following committees:
|Oklahoma Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Public Safety|
|• Tourism and Wildlife, Vice-chair|
|• Veterans and Military Affairs|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Brecheen served on the following committees:
|Oklahoma Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Retirement and Insurance|
|• Tourism and Wildlife|
Brecheen campaign website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Legislative Pay: "Oklahoma lawmakers are the third highest part time paid legislature in the entire nation. Oklahoma state lawmakers earn over $50,000 for only four months of work a year ($38,400 plus a tax-free per diem and reimbursement on mileage), while the average Oklahoman earns only $30,000 for a full twelve months of work. Those in elected office must earn the trust and respect of the taxpayer by not accepting an easy ride."
Brecheen on state priorities
- Education: "I watched my mother, as Cottonwood Schools Superintendent for 18 years, turn a struggling K-8 program completely around by tapping into the strengths of passionate teachers using good curriculum combined with unified discipline standards. In 2006 they were one of only 30 schools in the nation to be a Blue Ribbon School of America. Giving public schools flexibility and the best tools possible will fuel ingenuity and enable their students to excel in ways the government couldn’t dream of...Josh will also run legislation (until passed) requiring every lawmaker to place their retirement inside of the teacher retirement system in order to give incentive to make the system solvent."
- Lawsuit Reform: "A social and fiscal conservative, Brecheen said he supports lawsuit reform and workers compensation reform that lowers costs for rural businesses while benefiting employees. “You only have to look across the Red River to see where tort reform is working. Texas hospitals have increased charity care by 25% and access to physicians is drastically increasing while Oklahoma has the lowest number of physicians per capita in the nation. The average physician there has seen their malpractice insurance claims go down 30% while Oklahoma OBGYN’s have seen their premiums spike 30% plus during the same time frame."
- Water: "Downstream dependency is a major concern to me concerning the Texas angle and expert legal minds and case law will have to assure SE Oklahoman’s on this point before discussions can even be considered. Josh will fight to protect the quality/volume of the Arbuckle Simpson Aquifer and will look to CPASA for insight and ideas on how to move the ball forward. As a conservative, Josh believes in more local control and this certainly pertains to water issues."
- Agriculture: "Growing up on a working cattle and cow horse ranch and working in a family owned John Deere Dealership taught Josh the value of hard work and agriculture’s vital role in Oklahoma’s economy. Today, Josh ranches and owns a performance Quarter Horse breeding operation."
- Right to Bear Arms: "I believe firmly and will defend the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which states “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” I am a lifetime hunter and fisher and a strong advocate of that right as well."
- Jobs: "Since the founding of our country, our ancestors, with innovation and inventions, passed on greater prosperity to each generation that followed – fostered in a nation and work environment that encouraged opportunity with the goal of personal responsibility and success that would be celebrated as one provided for their family. For the past few years however, the private sector has declined from too much government intrusion, government growth, and a business killing environment created by those who do not understand nor encourage small business success, particularly in rural communities."
- Defending Life: "Josh earns a 100% pro-life rating from Oklahomans for Life. Josh choice to run on the Republican ticket centers on this issue."
- See also: Oklahoma State Senate elections, 2010
|Oklahoma State Senate, District 6|
|Josh Brecheen (R)||11,719|
|Jay Paul Gumm (D)||8,925|
Comprehensive donor information for Josh Brecheen is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Josh Brecheen raised a total of $284,771 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 25, 2013.
|Josh Brecheen's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Oklahoma State Senate, District 6||$37,064|
|2010||Oklahoma State Senate, District 6||$247,707|
|Grand Total Raised||$284,771|
2012Josh Brecheen was not up for election to the Oklahoma State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Josh Brecheen raised a total of $37,064.
|Oklahoma State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Josh Brecheen's campaign in 2012|
|Oklahoma Osteopathic Association||$1,250|
|Oklahoma Medical Association||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$37,064|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Josh Brecheen won election to the Oklahoma State Senate in 2010. During that election cycle, Josh Brecheen raised a total of $247,707.
|Oklahoma State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Josh Brecheen's campaign in 2010|
|GARONE, CRAIG & NELLIE||$5,000|
|ROUTE 66 PAC||$5,000|
|CITIZENS FOR GOOD GOVERNMENT||$5,000|
|SENATE OPPORTUNITY PAC||$5,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$247,707|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Brecheen is married to his wife Kacie. He has two step children, Micah and Makayla, and he and his wife have one son, Colt Justice They live in Coalgate, OK.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Josh + Brecheen + Oklahoma + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Official campaign twitter page
- Official campaign YouTube page
Jay Paul Gumm (D)
|Oklahoma State Senate District 6
| Succeeded by|