|Iowa House of Representatives District 51|
|January 10, 2011-Present|
|January 11, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Luther College, 1996|
|Master's||Winona State University, 2002|
|Place of birth||Riceville|
Byrnes earned his B.A. in Biology from Luther College and his M.S. in Educational Leadership from Winona State University. His professional experience includes working as the Agricultural and Industrial Division Chair at North Iowa Area Community College and a teacher at middle and high schools.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Byrnes served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Natural Resources|
|• Transportation, Chair|
|• Ways and Means|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Byrnes served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Economic Growth/Rebuild Iowa|
|• Environmental Protection|
|• Ways and Means, Vice-chair|
Elections for the office of Iowa House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Laura Hubka was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent Josh Byrnes was unopposed in the Republican primary. Hubka will face Byrnes in the general election.
Byrnes ran in the 2012 election for Iowa House of Representatives District 51. Byrnes ran unopposed in the Republican primary on June 5, 2012 and defeated Eric S. Hungerford (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 51, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Josh Byrnes Incumbent||64.6%||9,714|
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 14 General Election (2010)|
|Josh Byrnes (R)||6,696|
|Kurt Meyer (D)||4,281|
Comprehensive donor information for Byrnes is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Byrnes raised a total of $219,794 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 19, 2013.
|Josh Byrnes's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Iowa State House, District 51||$60,684|
|2010||Iowa State House, District 14||$159,110|
|Grand Total Raised||$219,794|
2012Byrnes won re-election to the Iowa House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Byrnes raised a total of $60,684.
|Iowa House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Josh Byrnes's campaign in 2012|
|Associated General Contractors of Iowa||$4,000|
|Iowa Corn Growers Association||$3,000|
|Iowa Republican Party||$2,652|
|Iowa Association of Realtors||$1,500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$60,684|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2010, Byrnes raised $159,110 in contributions.
His five largest contributors were:
|Iowa Republican Party||$104,992|
|Iowa Farm Bureau||$10,739|
|Freedom First PAC Iowa||$2,000|
|Associated General Contractors Of Iowa||$1,500|
|John Deere & Co||$1,500|
Byrnes and his wife, Colleen, have three children.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Legislators are scored on "their records on constitutional principles and civil liberties."
- Legislators are scored on their votes on "key conservative issues."
- Legislators are scored on their votes with or against SC's official position.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Josh + Byrnes + Iowa + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Iowa House of Representatives
- Iowa House Committees
- Iowa House of Representatives District 51
- Iowa State Legislature
- Iowa House of Representatives - Josh Byrnes
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010
- Des Moines Register, "Gingrich appears at school of state rep’s daughter; wins an endorsement," November 15, 2011
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 30, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 7, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," accessed April 7, 2014
- Iowa Department of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed May 15, 2012
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed April 7, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Byrnes, Josh," accessed September 19, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed August 2, 2014
Dan Muhlbauer (D)
|Iowa House District 51
| Succeeded by|
|Iowa House of Representatives District 14
| Succeeded by|
David Dawson (D)
State of Iowa
Des Moines (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Director of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chair of Utilities |
Iowa Supreme Court | Judicial Nominating and Qualifications Commission | Circuit Court of Appeals | District Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |