Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Pennsylvania State Senate District 15|
|Bachelor's||Penn State University|
First earned his BA in government from Penn State and his M.A. in government from Vanderbilt University. After completing his master's degree, First worked for the Environmental Protection Agency until 1998. After leaving the EPA, he began work for the PA Department of Conservation & Natural Resources. He left the department to found the PA office of the Conservation Fund where he served as director for over three years. First left the Fund, working as interim director of the Central Pennsylvania Conservancy before taking a position as executive director of the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission. In 2005, he served as Treasurer for the Growing Greener II Campaign.
First currently operates a real estate consulting business. He is also a member of a number of several organizations, including the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs, Trout Unlimited, the Pennsylvania Wildlife Federation, and the National Rifle Association. First is married and has three children.
PoliticsPA has named the District 15 primary one of Pennsylvania's top ten most interesting legislative primaries in 2012.
On his 2012 campaign website, First outlines his campaign themes and policy goals:
- "Implement the principle of limited government in all aspects of state and federal government."
- "Put the US and Pennsylvania Constitutions first in the formation of all law."
- "Fight for and demand a balanced budget every year."
- "Josh will impose term limits by self-limiting himself to three terms."
On March 8, Harrisburg Hope sponsored a debate for the District 15 primary candidates. Coverage of the debate can be found here.
First ran in the 2012 election for Pennsylvania Senate District 15. First and William Seeds were defeated by John McNally in the Republican primary on April 24. Incumbent Republican Jeffrey Piccola did not seek re-election. 
|Pennsylvania State Senate, District 15 Republican Primary, 2012|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Josh + First + Pennsylvania + Senate'"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Josh First, Campaign site
- Josh First, Official Facebook page
- Josh First (Senate), Official Twitter feed
- York Dispatch, "Issues and answers: The 15th state Senate District," April 17, 2012 (Candidate questionnaire)
- WHTM, "Josh First: Republican candidate for 15th state Senate District" (Candidate video profile)
- Josh First, Campaign site, Accessed April 18, 2012
- PoliticsPA, "Top 10 Most Interesting Pa. House & Senate Primaries," April 3, 2012
- Firearms Owners Against Crime, "Josh First-A Standout In A Crowded Election," April 16, 2012
- Pennsylvania Department of State, "2012 General Primary," accessed March 11, 2014
- Pennsylvania Department of State, "2012 General Election," accessed March 11, 2014