|Missouri House of Representatives, District 76|
|April 17, 2013 - present|
|January 12, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||April 2, 2013|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||William Beaumont High School|
Peters is a graduate of Lincoln University where he served as president of the student body and graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor of science in political science. He has served as a board member of the Democratic Youth Council and is currently a member of the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis, Rotary International, local board member of the United States Selective Service System (Missouri), Congressional Black Associates, Young Elected Officials Network and the Young Professionals Network-Regional Business Council. On January 22, 2014, Peters was appointed to the Missouri Arts Council Trust Fund.
Elected at 25 years of age, Peters is one of the youngest officials to be elected to the Missouri House of Representatives, and he is the youngest black man ever elected to the House.
Peters served as a congressional legislative assistant to Rep. William Lacy Clay of Missouri's 1st congressional District for three years and was appointed by President Barack Obama as the confidential assistant to the Under Secretary of Education Dr. Martha Kanter. After the 2012 Missouri elections, there was an open seat in Missouri House District 76, which Peters ran for and won on April 2, 2013. He officially took office on April 17, 2013.
As a member of the Missouri House, Peters serves on the following committees:
- Professional Registration and Licensing
- Appropriations - Public Safety and Corrections
- Downsizing State Government
- International Trade
- Interim Committee on Citizens and Legislators Working Group on Medicaid Eligibility and Reform
|Missouri 76th District State Representative Special Election 2013|
|Joshua Peters (D)||1,744||98.53%|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Joshua + Peters + Missouri + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Missouri House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Joint Committees
- Missouri state legislative districts
- Missouri General Assembly
- Official Missouri House of Representatives profile
- Personal Website
- Profile from Vote-USA
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- House.MO.gov "Missouri District Map," accessed July 10, 2014
- House.mo.gov, "Bio," accessed July 10, 2014
- KOAMTV, "Rep. Tom Flanigan Named to Missouri Arts Council Trust Board," accessed July 10, 2014
- STLAmerican, "Lincoln University honors Rep. Joshua Peters," accessed July 10, 2014
- House.mo.gov, "Committees," accessed July 10, 2014