|Kansas House of Representatives District 50|
|January 14, 2013 - 2015|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Powell served on the following committees:
|Kansas Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Commerce, Labor and Economic Development|
|• Energy and Environment|
Powell's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "No new taxes! I will not vote for a tax increase, period!"
Out of Control Spending
- Excerpt: "At both the federal and state level; spending is out of control! We must be fiscally responsible! Wasteful spending needs to be eliminated!"
- Excerpt: "I believe life begins at conception. We must protect the most innocent among us. I will work to protect life from conception till natural death."
- Excerpt: "The Second Amendment is very clear! We the people have the right to keep and bear arms. I will fight vigorously to protect this right!"
- Excerpt: "Kansas must improve its education system. Through transparency and parental involvement we can ensure children in Kansas get the best education possible!"
Elections for the office of Kansas House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 5, 2014, and a general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 2, 2014. Chris Huntsman was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Joshua Powell was defeated by Fred Patton in the Republican primary. Patton defeated Huntsman in the general election.
|Kansas House of Representatives District 50, General Election, 2014|
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 50 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Joshua Powell Incumbent||49.1%||1,636|
Powell won election in the 2012 election for Kansas House of Representatives District 50. Powell defeated Jason "Jake" Fisher in the August 7 Republican primary and defeated District 57 incumbent Sean Gatewood (D) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 50, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Sean Gatewood Incumbent||45.1%||4,913|
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 50 Republican Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Powell is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Powell raised a total of $17,378 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 14, 2013.
|Joshua Powell's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Kansas State House, District 50||$17,378|
|Grand Total Raised||$17,378|
2012Powell won election to the Kansas House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Powell raised a total of $17,378.
|Kansas House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Joshua Powell's campaign in 2012|
|Shawnee County Republican Party||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$17,378|
|Source: Follow the Money|
Kansas Freedom Index
The Kansas Policy Institute, Kansas’s "first free market think tank," releases its legislator scorecard as a part of its Kansas Freedom Index for Kansas state representatives and senators once a year. The Score Card gives each legislator a score from 1%-100% based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on specific issues which the Kansas Policy Institute thought were pro-limited government policies.
Joshua Powell received a score of 84.0% in the 2013 index.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Joshua + Powell + Kansas + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Kansas House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Joint Committees
- Kansas state legislative districts
- Kansas State Legislature
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Joshua Powell on Facebook
- Joshua Powell on Twitter
- Campaign Contributions: 2012
- "powellforkansas," Official Campaign Website
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2014 Primary Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed September 15, 2014
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2014 General Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed April 17, 2015
- Kansas Secretary of State, "Official Primary Candidate List," accessed June 28, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "Powell, Joshua," accessed June 14, 2013
- Kansas Policy Institute, "Freedom Index," accessed March 31, 2014
- Ballotpedia, "2013 Kansas Policy Index," accessed March 10, 2015
Trent LeDoux (R)
|Kansas House of Representatives District 50
| Succeeded by|
Fred Patton (R)
State of Kansas
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Wildlife and Parks | Secretary of Labor | Corporation Commission |