For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Florida House of Representatives District 119|
| Term in office began|
| Term in office ended|
|Profession||Founder/President, Columbian American Service Association|
Zapata's professional experience includes working as the Founder and President of Columbian American Service Association and Owner of Greenback Investments.
He is a member of many organizations, including the Executive Committee for National Hispanic Council of State Legislators, Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Miami, National Association of Latino Elected Officials, Vice Chair of the National Conference of Hispanic Legislators, and member of the Protect America's Children Board, Spanish American League Against Discrimination Board and Kendall Federation Homeowners Association Board.
- Criminal & Civil Justice Appropriations Committee
- Health Care Services Policy Committee
- Health & Family Services Policy Council
- Intergovernmental Relations Committee, Florida State Legislature (Alternating Chair)
- Policy Council
- Select Committee on Seminole Indian Compact Review
Zapata did not provide answers to the Florida State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test informs voters how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
Zapata's sponsored legislation included:
- HB 507 - "Optometry: Requires Board of Optometry to adopt rules governing administration & prescription of oral ocular pharmaceutical agents; requires advisory committee to review requests for modifications of formulary of topical & oral ocular pharmaceutical agents"
- HB 787 - "Discretionary Sales Surtaxes: Authorizes constitutional charter county to levy voter-approved surtax for community college in county"
- HB 5109 - "Medical Research: Revises amounts of annual appropriations from General Revenue Fund to Biomedical Research Trust Fund within DOH for specified purposes."
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
On November 4, 2008, Zapata won re-election to the Florida House of Representatives from Florida's 119th District, defeating Michael Calderin (D). Zapata received 29,621 votes in the election while Calderin received 18,246 votes.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 119|
|Juan Zapata (R)||29,621||61.9%|
|Michael Calderin (D)||18,246||38.1%|
Below are Zapata's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|FL Republican Party||$51,262|
|Hospital Corporation of America||$4,000|
|Dade County Classroom Teachers Assoc||$3,000|
|FL Optometric Assoc||$2,000|
|FL Cable Telecommunications Assoc||$2,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Juan + Zapata + Florida + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Florida State Legislature
- Florida House of Representatives
- Florida House Committees
- Florida state legislative districts
- Juan Zapata's campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004
- Juan Zapata on LinkedIn
|Florida House of Representatives District 119
| Succeeded by|
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |