|Hawaii House of Representatives, District 6|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
Akaka received her B.A. in Communications and Marketing from Chaminade University of Honolulu. Her professional experience includes working for the Hawaii state legislature and working in the public relations field.
Akaka's website has emphasized the following campaign themes:
Jobs and the Economy
- Excerpt: "I believe we need to attract new businesses and ventures that incorporate purposeful and responsible economic growth and development aesthetically compatible with our environment that benefits the community as a whole, providing our people with work so they may support themselves and their family."
- Excerpt: "I believe we need to provide our students with an education that provides them with ability to meet the standards and growing needs of our world and have access to higher education and professional training."
- Excerpt: "I believe we need to continue to seek methods of safe and renewable energy."
- Excerpt: "I believe our lands, waters, and skies need to be cared for with a respect for our environment and living creatures."
- Excerpt: "I am a strong advocate of taking care of our government employees’ wages and benefits. For too long, our state and county government employees have been forced to do more with less. These workers when they retire should receive the benefits they have earned in regards to their retirement, medical, and pension."
Culture and the Arts
- Excerpt: "I am a strong advocate of maintaining and preserving the unique traditions of Hawai‘i. In addition to being born, raised and educated in Kona, I have experienced the multicultural backgrounds of my fellow classmates and community leaders and support government involvement to foster these traditions."
Akaka has been endorsed by the Hawaii Laborers’ Union (Local 368), the Hawaii Fishermens Alliance, Hawaii Local 293, Hawaii Sheet Metal Workers, the State of Hawaii Organization of Police Officers, the United Public Workers, and AFSCME (Local 646).
Elections for the office of Hawaii House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place August 9, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 3, 2014. Incumbent Nicole Lowen defeated Kalei Akaka in the Democratic primary, while Kelly Valenzuela defeated Roy Ebert in the Republican primary. Lowen will face Valenzuela in the general election.
|Hawaii House of Representatives, District 6 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Nicole Lowen Incumbent||62.6%||2,128|
|Hawaii House of Representatives, District 6 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Hawaii House of Representatives, District 6 Democratic Primary, 2012|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Kalei + Akaka + Hawaii + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Hawaii House of Representatives
- Hawaii House of Representatives District 6
- Hawaii House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Hawaii State Legislature
- Hawaii Secretary of State - Official primary candidate list
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Kalei Akaka on Facebook
- Kalei Akaka on Twitter
- Kalei Akaka, "About," accessed July 18, 2014
- Kalei Akaka campaign website, "Issues," accessed July 18, 2014
- Kalei Akaka campaign website, "Endorsements," accessed July 18, 2014
- Hawaii Secretary of State, "Official primary candidate list," accessed June 6, 2014
- Hawaii Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed August 25, 2014
- civilbeat.com, " Unofficial 2012 Primary election candidate list," accessed March 24, 2014
- Hawaii Secretary of State, "Official 2012 Primary election results," accessed March 24, 2014