|Puyallup School Board, Position 4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|Bachelor's||Florida State University|
|Master's||University of Washington|
Edwards earned a Bachelor's degree in Biology from Florida State University. She later earned a Masters of Public Health from the University of Washington. Edwards served for five years in the Medical Services Corps in the U.S. Army. She currently works as a grant coordinator at the University of Washington Medical Center and serves on the Edgerton PTA. Edwards and her husband, John, have two children attending district schools.
Edwards and Kathy Yang sought election to the Position 4 seat on November 5, 2013.
|Puyallup School Board, Four-year term, Position 4, 2013|
|Source: Pierce County Elections, "November 5, 2013 General Election," November 25, 2013|
|Puyallup School Board, Position 4, August 6 Primary, 2013|
|Source: Pierce County Elections, "August 6, 2013 Primary," August 20, 2013|
Edwards reported $10,096.35 in contributions and $9,928.50 in expenditures to the Washington Public Disclosure Commission, which left her campaign with $167.85 on hand.
Edwards provided the following statement for the Local Voters' Pamphlet published by Pierce County:
"When the Army brought us back to Washington 11 years ago, we chose Puyallup for the schools and to be close to family. We are invested in this school district with our two children, who are in the third and fifth grade. I am running for School Board because I want parents to choose Puyallup for its high quality schools once again, like we did years ago.
Volunteering in the Puyallup School District for the past five years has shown me that our district is not reaching its full potential. We should be offering all students the choice to participate in innovative district-run programs while promoting equity and fiscal responsibility. Further, the District could do more to communicate with parents and our community about the services they provide and the resources required to make these programs successful. These are my top priorities as your next School Board member.
Parents, students and teachers in our District deserve a change from the status quo. I will work tirelessly to ensure our Puyallup Schools are exceptional, that we focus on communication , and that we offer the most innovative and cost-effective educational opportunities our children deserve."
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
Incumbent Pat Donovan won a second full term in Position 1 against challenger Noreen Wolfe. The Position 4 race included Edwards and Kathy Yang, who advanced from the August 6th primary against third-place finisher Margie Silver.
The district cut overall expenditures by $1.7 million from 2011 to 2012 while enrollment only decreased by 0.5% in those years. In the District 4 primary, Yang, Edwards and Silver discussed the need for additional funding to anticipate enrollment growth. In February 2013, voters in Puyallup School District failed to pass the 60% threshold for a new bond worth $279.6 million.
About the district
- See also: Puyallup School District, Washington
Puyallup lags behind the state averages for higher education achievement while outperforming averages for median income and poverty rate. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (22.4%) is below the state average (31.4%). The 2010 U.S. Census calculated Puyallup's median income at $61,099 while the state median income was $58,890. Puyallup had a poverty rate of 9.1% in the 2010 U.S. Census while the state rate was 12.5%.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Karen + Edwards + Puyallup + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Washington school districts
- Puyallup School District, Washington
- Puyallup School District elections (2013)
- Friends of Karen Edwards, "Biography," Accessed August 15, 2013
- Pierce County Elections, "August 6, 2013 Primary Election Results," Accessed August 15, 2013
- Washington Public Disclosure Commission, "Local Candidates," Accessed December 17, 2013
- The Bellingham Herald, "Our choices for Tacoma, Puyallup, Bethel schools," October 8, 2013
- Pierce County Democrats, "Pierce County Democrats Release Updated Endorsements for Nov. Ballot!," October 15, 2013
- Pierce County Elections, "Current Election," Accessed September 20, 2013
- The News Tribune, "3 moms want seat on Puyallup School Board," July 23, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Puyallup," Accessed August 14, 2013
- Pierce County Elections, "Archived Elections," Accessed August 5, 2013