|Former candidate for|
|Florida House of Representatives, District 5|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||SUNY - Oswego, 1967|
|Master's||SUNY - Stony Brook, 1971|
Schoen earned her B.S. in education and history from SUNY - Oswego in 1967. She went on to earn her M.A. in liberal studies from SUNY - Stony Brook in 1971. She also pursued post graduate work at the New School of Social Research.
Professionally, Schoen has worked as a teacher and has owned her own business. She has spent the last 10 years as a 'citizen' lobbyist.
Schoen listed the following issues on her campaign website:
- Amendment 1
- Excerpt: "[T]aking more land off tax roles puts a tremendous burden on taxpayers to support programs they can not afford and will do nothing to improve land or water quality."
- The economy
- Excerpt: "As I drive around I see massive farms with no crop activity. I speak to farmers and they all tell me the same thing, regulations are killing their business. As I speak to other business owners, I hear the same. Regulations, fee, fines, international codes, and permits restrict everything they must do in order to be profitable and stay in business...No bill that harms the economy and is based on lies should ever take precedence over protection of human life."
- Excerpt: "Common Core will train workers not create individuals capable of creation, innovation and success. This unproved, untested overly expensive fad will only enrich its vendors while doing little or nothing for our future Americans."
Elections for the office of Florida House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on August 26, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 20, 2014. Brad Drake defeated Jan Hooks in the Republican primary and defeated Karen Schoen (L) in the general election. Travis W. Pitts (D) withdrew before the primary.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 5 General Election, 2014|
|Florida House of Representatives, District 5 Republican Primary, 2014|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Karen + Schoen + Florida + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Florida House of Representatives
- Florida House of Representatives District 5
- Florida House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Florida State Legislature
- Official campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Karen Schoen on Facebook
- Karen Schoen on LinkedIn
- Karen Schoen on YouTube
- Information submitted through Ballotpedia's biographical submission form on October 13, 2014
- Vote Karen Schoen, "Meet Karen," accessed October 19, 2014
- Vote Karen Schoen, "About the issues, accessed October 19, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "2014 Florida Election Watch - Multi-County or District Offices," accessed September 3, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "Candidate Listing for 2014 General Election," accessed June 23, 2014
- Florida Secretary of State, "Travis Pitts," accessed August 13, 2014
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |