Kathleen O'Connor Ives
|Kathleen O'Connor Ives|
|Massachusetts State Senate, First Essex District|
|January 5, 2013 - present|
|January 7, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Newburyport City Council|
|2008 - Present|
|Bachelor's||Mount Holyoke College|
|J.D.||Pace University School of Law|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, O'Connor Ives served on the following committees:
|Massachusetts Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Community Development and Small Business Joint, Vice-chair|
|• Consumer Protection and Professional Licensure Joint|
|• Financial Services Joint|
|• Higher Education Joint|
|• Tourism, Arts and Cultural Development Joint, Chair|
O'Connor Ives' website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Campaign Finance Reform
- Excerpt:"The Supreme Court's decision in Citizens United, declaring corporations are people with a protected right of free speech and freedom to contribute unlimited amounts of anonymous campaign cash, turned back the clock on efforts for campaign finance reform."
- Excerpt:"I support the long-overdue expansion of the "Bottle Bill" - a successful strategy that addresses multiple problems. The Bottle Bill is an effective incentive to increase recycling and reduce litter and also takes pressure off our limited landfills."
Women's Reproductive Rights
- Excerpt:"I support a woman's right to choose and to be in control of her reproductive health."
- Excerpt:"I'll protect the rights of everyone in the commonwealth against discrimination on account of age, race, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities."
- Excerpt:"Taking the most dangerous criminals off of the streets and eliminating parole for specific felons who habitually commit violent crimes is a good goal. However, we have to maintain an element of judicial discretion because that's the role of a judge with the experience and context of each case."
Elections for the office of Massachusetts State Senate will consist of a primary election on September 9, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 3, 2014. Incumbent Kathleen O'Connor Ives is challenged by Jessica Finocchiaro in the Democratic primary. Shaun Toohey is unopposed in the Republican primary.
O'Connor Ives won election in the 2012 election for Massachusetts State Senate First Essex District. She defeated Timothy J. Coco and William M. Manzi, III in the Democratic primary on September 6 and defeated Shaun P. Toohey (R), James M. Kelcourse (I), and Paul A. Magliocchetti (I) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Massachusetts State Senate, First Essex District Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Kathleen O'Connor Ives||38.3%||4,071|
|William Manzi III||30.9%||3,283|
In 2012, O'Connor Ives received $57,750 in campaign donations. The largest donors are listed below.
|Massachusetts House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Kathleen O'Connor Ives's campaign in 2012|
|Service Employees Local 509||$500|
|Massachusetts Federation of Teachers||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$$57,750|
Ives is fluent in Portuguese.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Kathleen + O'Connor Ives + Massachusetts + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Massachusetts State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Joint Committees
- Massachusetts state legislative districts
- Massachusetts State Legislature
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Kathleen O'Connor Ives on Facebook
- Kathleen O'Connor Ives on Twitter
- "voteforives," Official Campaign Website
- 2012 State Primary Candidate List, "Massachusetts Secretary of State," Acccessed June 26, 2012
- AP "Massachusetts - Summary Vote Results," accessed September 6, 2012
- Follow the Money, "Massachusetts 2012 - Candidates," accessed June 18, 2014
- Voteforives.com, "Experience," accessed August 14, 2012
|Massachusetts State Senate First Essex
| Succeeded by|