|Minnesota Second Judicial District|
|Past position:||Judge, Second District|
|Undergraduate:||College of St. Catherine, 1967|
|Law School:||William Mitchell College of Law, 1975|
Kathleen Gearin is a senior judge of the Second District Court in Minnesota, serving Ramsey County. She was elected to the court in 1986 and retained by election in 1992, 1998 and 2004. Gearin then retired on July 30, 2013, assuming senior judge status that expires on June 30, 2015.
Gearing served as the court's chief judge from 2008 to 2012.
- 2013-2015: Senior Judge, Minnesota Second Judicial District
- 1986-2013: Judge, Minnesota Second Judicial District (Elected)
- 1975-1985: Prosecutor, Ramsey County
- 1967-1971: Teacher (Social Studies), Secondary school
Awards and associations
In 2011, Gearin was honored by the Minnesota District Judges Association for her "service to the community."
Gearin was re-elected after running unopposed.
- Main article: Minnesota judicial elections, 2010
Lack of budget would cause government shutdown
On the cusp of the new state budget deadline, Gearin found that all but essential services would cease if the legislature did not agree on a budget. As of June 30, 2011, the Minnesota State Legislature had not reached a compromise, despite months of talks.
On December 30, 2009 Gearin served notice to Governor Tim Pawlenty that his use of the gubernatorial power known as "unallotment" to balance the budget in 2009 may have been unconstitutional. The governor faulted Gearin for "inserting herself in a political dispute". She also granted a temporary restraining order to reinstate $5.3 million in funds for a nutrition program for elderly and disabled people.
- Official biography of Judge Gearin
- Minnesota Judicial Branch, "Gearin, Birnbaum Honored by Minnesota District Judges Association," September 20, 2011
- Minnesota Secretary of State, State Offices
- StarTribune, "Judge orders most services to go dark," June 30, 2011
- Star Tribune "Editorial: Judge to governor: Power play fails," January 6, 2010
- 62-CV-09-11693: Multiple Parties v. Governor of MN, et al