|Former candidate for|
|Oregon House of Representatives, District 20|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Oregon State University|
|Master's||Western Oregon University|
|Ph.D.||Portland State University|
|Profession||Small business owner|
Goss earned her bachelor's degree in Elementary Education from Oregon State University, her master's in Guidance and Counseling from Western Oregon University and her Ph.D. in Education Administration from Portland State University. Her professional experience includes working as a teacher, counselor, principal, school superintendent and as a small business owner.
Goss's campaign website highlighted the following issues:
Working to Create Jobs
- Excerpt: "As a small business owner, I understand the importance of a healthy economy where people have jobs and are paid an adequate wage to care for their families. The Government should not deter citizens from creating new industries, slow down small businesses from expanding or ignore agricultural opportunities. Together, we must work to create a confident and healthy economy and make it easier for new industries to come to our state in order to create more jobs and better wages."
Working to Improve Education
- Excerpt: "Because of my background in education, I value providing educational excellence for our students. That is why I support local control of schools. Local control allows parents and school boards the freedom to decide for themselves how to best use limited money for K-12 education into classrooms. Parents and teachers in our schools know best what is needed to help our kids succeed."
Working to Improve Our Quality of Life
- Excerpt: "We need stable resources such as job training programs to help get people back on their feet and accountability in our government assistance programs to make sure that resources devoted to supporting families in need are not being mishandled or wasted. We also need improved record keeping and identification in order to help prevent the elderly from suffering financial abuse and fraud."
Working Towards Affordable, Quality Healthcare
- Excerpt: "As a member of the Legislature, I will promote laws and policies that protect Oregonians from the damaging effects of Obamacare. I believe that competition in the healthcare marketplace is the key to reducing costs and enhancing the quality of care offered. My approach to healthcare is based on trust; the trust I have that people are informed, responsible, and don’t need the federal government to tell them how to run their lives, especially in healthcare."
Making State Government More Efficient and Responsive to Citizens
- Excerpt: "Like many of you, I believe Oregon is headed in the wrong direction. A major part of the problem is we have an incumbent Governor and political party that are unresponsive to the will of the people. Oregonians are overtaxed, overspent, and under-served by their state government. The Cover Oregon fiasco is a sober reminder of what happens when we have one party rule. The stunning lack of oversight associated with Cover Oregon has cost taxpayers dearly, and if we don’t move swiftly to reform a broken system, the situation will worsen. We need new leadership to solve these problems and get Oregon moving in the right direction."
Elections for the office of Oregon House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on May 20, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 11, 2014. Paul Evans was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Kathy Goss defeated James Owens, Karl Erickson and Terrence Taylor in the Republican primary. Evans also ran on the Working Families Party ticket. Evans defeated Goss in the general election.
|Oregon House of Representatives, District 20 Republican Primary, 2014|
Goss and her husband, retired Col. Darr Goss, have three children and six grandchildren.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Kathy + Goss + Oregon + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Oregon State Senate elections, 2014
- Oregon State Legislature
- Oregon House of Representatives
- Oregon House of Representatives District 20
- Official campaign website
- Kathy Goss on Facebook
- Kathy Goss on LinkedIn
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Oregon Secretary of State - Candidate list