For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, will be limited. Select races will be covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Mississippi State Senate District 28|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||February 5, 2013|
Sykes ran in the special election for District 28 of the Mississippi State Senate. The seat was vacant following Alice Harden's (D) death on December 6, 2012. Sykes lost against Cindy Ayers-Elliott, Tamarra Grace Butler, Marshand Crisler, Sollie B. Norwood, Antonio Porter, James "Jimmy" Stewart, Tommy L. Wallace, II and Cassanda Welchlin in the special election on February 5, 2013. Candidates had until January 7 to file. Special elections in Mississippi are nonpartisan. As no candidate took over 50 percent of the vote, the top two vote-getters - Crisler and Norwood - proceeded to a runoff.
- Mississippi Secretary of State, " 2013 candidate qualifying list," accessed January 11, 2013
- Clarion Ledger, "State Sen. Alice Harden dies at 64," December 6, 2012
- Clarion Ledger, "Bryant sets Senate 28 special election," December 18, 2012
- Fox 10tv.com, "Runoff scheduled in Senate District 28," February 6, 2013 (dead link)
- sos.ms.gov, "Official special election results," accessed November 15, 2013