Kay Kinsler, Cung Nguyen and Lori Phillipi recall, Arcadia Unified School District, California (2013)
An effort to recall Kay Kinsler, Cung Nguyen and Lori Phillipi from their positions on the Arcadia Unified School District Board of Education in California was launched in August 2013. It did not go to a vote.
Sergio Gonzalez and Esmond Wei led a group of current and former Arcadia Unified School District students that called themselves "Recall Arcadia" in the recall effort against the three board members. They were mainly upset over the firing of Arcadia High School cross-country coach Jim O'Brien. O'Brien was fired from the position in June 2013, and although the Board examined the issue, they took no action. O'Brien remains a physical education teacher.
At the time the recall effort was initiated, Nguyen was Board President, Phillipi was Board Vice President, and Kinsler was Board Clerk. Board members Fenton Eng and Janet Chew were not subject to the recall effort.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in California
- Arcadia Weekly, "Arcadia Residents hope to Recall 3 School Board Members," August 7, 2013
- The Pasadena Star-News, "Arcadia Recall proponents: Letter from school board members motivates recall," August 12, 2013
- Arcadia Patch, "School Board Recall Effort Sparked by Coach O'Brien's Firing," August 7, 2013
- Arcadia Unified School District, "Board of Education," accessed: August 21, 2013