|Ohio Sixth District Court of Appeals Judge|
November 16, 2009
|Partner with law firm of Cosme, D'Angelo, and Szollosi|
2001 - 2009
|Preceded by||William Skow|
She was defeated in a bid for election to the seat on November 2, 2010, by Republican Steve Yarbrough.
Cosme is the first Hispanic judge to serve an Ohio appellate court.
Cosme was born in Puerto Rico, and moved to the United States when she was 17 years old. She graduated from Boston University in 1990 and the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law in 1994. Cosme is married with two children.
Prior to her judicial appointment, Cosme was a partner with the Toledo law firm Cosme, D'Angelo, and Szollosi since 2001. She worked primarily in civil litigation, with an emphasis on "complex commercial litigation and personal injury/wrongful death actions". She was in private practice at the Law Offices of Keila D. Cosme from 1998-2001 and was with the firm Calfee, Halter and Griswold from 1995-98.
Awards and associations
- Member of the Ohio Association for Justice
- Member of the Hispanic National Bar Association
- Member of the Ohio Hispanic Bar Association
- Member of the AFL-CIO Lawyers Coordinating Committee
- See also: Ohio judicial elections, 2010
- Ohio Sixth District Court of Appeals website
- Sixth District Court of Appeals from the Ohio judiciary website
- Glass City Jungle "I’m hearing the Governor appointed Cosme after all..Updated!," October 31, 2009
- La Prensa, "Judge Keila D. Cosme: Her goal of equal justice"
- Toledo Blade, "2 vying for appellate court seat," October 18, 2010
- Supreme Court & Judicial System News "Governor Appoints Keila Cosme to Sixth District Court of Appeals," October 30, 2009
- Toledo Blade "Toledo lawyer joins state court," October 31, 2009
- The Morning Journal "Hispanic American appointed to bench," October 31, 2009
- Ohio Secretary of State, Live Unofficial Election Results
- Toledo Blade "Judge Yarbrough wins GOP race for court of appeals," May 4, 2010