|U.S. House, Florida, District 16|
|Florida House of Representatives District 69|
Keith Fitzgerald was a 2012 Democratic candidate who sought election to the U.S. House to represent the 16th Congressional District of Florida. Fitzgerald served in the Florida House of Representatives from 2006-2010 representing District 69. Fitzgerald ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 14, 2012.
He is a member of the Advisory Council of Faculty Senates, American Political Science Association, on the Board of Trustees of New College of Florida, and Board Member on the Suncoast Partnership to End Homelessness.
- Finance & Tax Council
- Health & Family Services Policy Council
- Military & Local Affairs Policy Committee
- Policy Council (Ranking Minority Member)
- Select Policy Council on Strategic and Economic Planning
Fitzgerald's sponsored legislation includes:
- HB 265 - "Education in Public Schools Concerning Human Sexuality: Creates "Florida Healthy Teens Act"; requires public schools that provide certain information or programs to students concerning human sexuality to provide information that meets specified criteria"
- HB 981 - "Annuity Contracts for Seniors: Revises consumer protection requirement relating to designation of beneficiaries of life insurance policy; provides additional ground for taking adverse action against license or appointment of specified persons"
- HB 1317 - "Renewable Energy: Establishes "Florida Renewable Energy Freedom Act"; requires electric utilities to provide producers of renewable energy with interconnection & metering services"
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
- Financial Reform
- Real Governmental Reform
- Social Security and Medicare
Fitzgerald was defeated by incumbent Vern Buchanan. Fitzgerald ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent Florida's 16th District. Fitzgerald won the nomination on the Democratic ticket. The signature filing deadline was June 8, 2012, with the primary taking place on August 14, 2012. Incumbent Vern Buchanan sought re-election on the Republican ticket. Fitzgerald ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 14, 2012.
|U.S. House, Florida District 16 General Election, 2012|
|Source: Florida Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
Fitzgerald ran for re-election to the 20th District seat in 2010. He did not have any opposition in the August 24 primary. Fitzgerald lost to Ray Pilon (R) in the general election on November 2, 2010.
| Florida House of Representatives, District 69 |
2010 General election results
|Ray Pilon (R)||23,596||51.51%|
|Keith Fitzgerald (D)||22,216||48.49%|
On November 4, 2008, Fitzgerald won re-election to the Florida House of Representatives from Florida's 69th District, defeating Laura Benson (R) and Horacio Lemus, IV (G). Fitzgerald received 33,384 votes in the election while Benson received 30,592 votes, and Lemus received 1,189 votes. Fitzgerald raised $305,562 for his campaign; Benson raised $200,082, and Lemus raised $2,010.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 69|
|Keith Fitzgerald (D)||33,384||51.2%|
|Laura Benson (R)||30,592||46.9%|
|Horacio Lemus, IV (G)||1,189||1.8%|
|U.S. House, Florida District 16, 2012 - Keith Fitzgerald Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||$2,209,719|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||$2,667,717|
|Top contributors to Keith Fitzgerald's campaign committee|
|Democratic Congressional Campaign Cmte||$12,750|
|American Assn for Justice||$10,000|
|American Federation of Teachers||$10,000|
|American Fedn of St/Cnty/Munic Employees||$10,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Public Sector Unions||$50,250|
On October 15, 2012, quarterly reports were submitted by campaigns to the Federal Election Commission. The political blog Daily Kos did an analysis of the fundraising figures and found Democratic challenger Keith Fitzgerald outraised Republican incumbent Vern Buchanan in the third quarter. Fitzgerald raised $468,000 to Buchanan's $227,000.
Below are Fitzgerald's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|FL Democratic Party||$92,290|
|Hospital Corporation of America||$4,000|
|FL Cable Telecommunications Assoc||$2,000|
|FL Hospital Assoc||$2,000|
|FL Chamber of Commerce||$2,000|
- Florida House of Representatives - Rep. Keith Fitzgerald
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006
- Keith Fitzgerald on Facebook
- Campaign Website
- Twitter account
- AP Results "U.S. House Results" Accessed August 14, 2012
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Fitzgerald Biography
- Fitzgerald for Congress "Issues" Accessed January 2, 2012
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Florida"
- Florida Election Watch - 2010 Election results
- Florida House official election results for 2008
- District 69 Florida House candidate funds, 2008
- OpenSecrets "2012 Election" Accessed March 18, 2013
- Daily Kos "Third quarter House fundraising: who's got the cash?" October 18, 2012
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
|Florida House of Representatives District 69
| Succeeded by|
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |