|Montana House of Representatives, District 49|
|January 7, 2013 - present|
|January 5, 2015|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Term limits||4 terms (8 years)|
|Bachelor's||Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (1999)|
|Master's||University of Texas at Dallas (2006)|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||May 1985 – October 2001|
McCarthy earned his B.S. in Professional Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in 1999, and his M.B.A. in Global Business from the University of Texas-Dallas in 2006. His professional experience includes working for First Interstate Bank, and in the U.S. intelligence community from August 1989 to April 2008 while in the Air Force and later with Raytheon.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, McCarthy served on the following committees:
|Montana Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• General Government|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, McCarthy served on the following committees:
|Montana Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• General Government|
In a submission to Ballotpedia, McCarthy stated he ran to "Get away from partisan politics and build bridges between the parties. I'm happy to work with anybody and everybody willing to put people before politics to get the work of the people of the Great State of Montana done."
He listed the following three major issues of his campaign:
- Classrooms of discovery and innovation
- Helping small business dreams become reality
- Protecting Montana's incredible beauty
Elections for the office of Montana House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014, and a general election took place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 10, 2014; minor party and independent candidates had until June 2, 2014, to file. District 51 incumbent Kelly McCarthy was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Cory Hasiak was unopposed in the Republican primary. McCarthy defeated Hasiak in the general election. Incumbent Mary McNally (D) ran in District 47.
|Montana House of Representatives, District 49 General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Kelly McCarthy Incumbent||55.7%||1,289|
McCarthy won election in the 2012 election for Montana House of Representatives, District 51. McCarthy defeated Lita Pepion in the June 5 primary election and defeated Taj Mukadam (R) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Montana House of Representatives, District 51, General Election, 2012|
|Montana House of Representatives, District 51 Democratic Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for McCarthy is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, McCarthy raised a total of $10,186 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 8, 2013.
|Kelly McCarthy's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Montana House, District 51||$10,186|
|Grand Total Raised||$10,186|
2012McCarthy won election to the Montana House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, McCarthy raised a total of $10,186.
|Montana House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Kelly McCarthy's campaign in 2012|
|Yellowstone County Democratic Central Committee||$800|
|Connell, Martin R.||$160|
|Total Raised in 2012||$10,186|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2013, the Legislature was in session from January 7 to April 27.
- Montana Conservation Voters: 2013 State Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on "hotlisted bills that represent a portfolio of priority conservation and environmental issues."
- MEA-MFT: 2013 Legislature
- Legislators are scored on bills of importance to a state teachers' union.
- Montana Public Interest Research Group (MontPIRG): 2013 Montana Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on issues of importance to a public interest advocacy group based at the University of Montana in Missoula.
- United Property Owners of Montana: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on bills relating to property rights.
McCarthy has served as treasurer of Billings Industrial Revitalization District and the North Park Children's Center, and is the founder of Politics in the Pub.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Kelly + McCarthy + Montana + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Montana State Legislature
- Montana House of Representatives
- Montana House Committees
- Montana Joint Committees
- Montana state legislative districts
- Office website
- Campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- Biographical information submitted to Ballotpedia, June 11, 2012
- Montana Secretary of State, "2014 Candidate Filing List: Legislative," accessed October 29, 2014
- Montana Secretary of State, "2014 Statewide Primary Election Canvass," accessed June 30, 2014
- Montana Secretary of State, "2012 Legislative General Election Canvass," accessed February 13, 2014
- Montana Secretary of State, "2012 Legislative Primary Election Canvass," accessed February 13, 2014
- Follow the Money, "McCarthy, Kelly," accessed September 8, 2013
- Montana Conservation Voters, "2013 State Legislative Scorecard," accessed August 30, 2014
Robyn Driscoll (D)
|Montana House of Representatives District 51
| Succeeded by|
State of Montana
List of Montana ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Director of the Department of Revenue | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Securities and Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources and Conservation | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Public Service Commission |