|Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina|
|January 12, 2011 - March 9, 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Member, Florence County Council|
|2004 - 2010|
|Place of birth||Pamlico, SC|
Prior to running for the lieutenant governor's seat, Ard spent six years as part of the County Council in Florence County. In 2009, he was elected chair of the Florence County Republican Party. He is also a past President of Double A Body Builder, a truck company in his native Pamlico.
Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina (2011-2012)
In February 2011, the South Carolina Ethics Commission began reviewing Ard's post-election spending. When the investigation concluded, he was cited with 107 ethics violations. Ard settled with the commission by paying a hefty fine, covering the cost of the investigation, and reimbursing his campaign for over $12,121 in unauthorized expenditures.
The commission's report also noted that Ard misled investigators about purchases made with campaign funds on more than one occasion. The report caught the attention of Attorney General Alan Wilson and prompted his office to review Ard's case to determine whether or not criminal charges are warranted.
Ard placed first in the June 8 primary but not by a large enough margin to avoid a run-off. The run-off took place on June 22, with Ard defeating Bill Connor by a margin of 61.34% to 38.66%.
|South Carolina Lieutenant Governor, 2010|
|Election Results Via: South Carolina State Election Commission|
Married to his wife, Tammy, for 20 years, Ard has three children, Jesse, Mason, and Libby. The Ards belong to Southside Baptist Church in Florence.
- James Ken Ard campaign website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- James Ken Ad on Facebook
- James Ken Ard on Twitter
- Washington Post, "SC's lieutenant governor resigns amend criminal probe of campaign spending for personal items," Friday March 9, 2012
- WIS News 10, "Ethics commission reviewing Lt. Gov's post-election spending," Feb 2, 2011
- Talking Points Memo, "SC Attorney General may investigate Lt. Gov who spent campaign cash on a PlayStation," July 8, 2011
- The Island Packet, "Criminal inquiry justified in Ard's ethics violations," July 7, 2011
- CNN, "Gingrich gets vote from S.C. lieutenant governor," January 17, 2012
MetaTags: Permission errorState of South Carolina
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller General | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor, Licensing and Regulation | Chairman of Public Service Commission |